Author Topic: VPIM setup questions  (Read 5048 times)

Offline dan231

• View Profile
VPIM setup questions
« on: August 11, 2014, 02:14:12 PM »
I am working with our techs and we are running into a problem with having voice mail transfer between branches.
It's configured now to email users if they have msgs, via our public email URL.

If they set this to use anything else it fails.  The internal email servers name or IP.
What I don't understand, if it works now emailing users, what is missing that it can't email the other systems?

I can't get any specifics on exactly what is failing, other than "it's your mail server".

Do I have to set anything special in our Exchange server?
I'm at a total loss of how to proceed.

Offline Tech Electronics

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: VPIM setup questions
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2014, 07:26:41 AM »
Dan231,

Could you provide us with a more detailed explanation of how you have it setup currently and what you want to do?

Thanks,

TE

Offline dan231

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2014, 10:37:25 AM »
The goal is to be able to transfer a voice mail from one mailbox in branch A to another mailbox in Branch B-D.
We had to purchase the VPIM card and licensing.

Originally, the techs setup the email to use a gmail account.  We are able to setup the email notification to users when they have a new voice mail.  The email gateway is now set to use our public email url and the new mitel email account.

They told me to create DNS entries for the 4 mitel servers all on 10.0.X.X ( this is not our internal schema)

I then gave them my external mail server info as well as internal mail server info and built a new email account just for the phone system.

The techs state:
that It only works when the mail server is set as our external mail.domain.com.  If it is anything else it does not work.

The e-mail between systems is extn@10.0.X.X or @site.domain.local and neither of which work since the mail server does not send to any internal addresses or internal domains.

This is all I have to go off of. 
Could there be a routing issue or something not configured right with our Exchange?

I cannot grasp how the system can email users but not itself?  It's hard to troubleshoot, when I simply just "dont' get it"

Offline dan231

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2014, 11:35:00 AM »
More info...

Our external to/from email is scanned by a Barracuda spam/virus firewall.  This is stating that these messages are not allowed to relay.

Delivery Status:   Rejected
Delivery Detail:   550 relay not permitted

But its also showing possible bad To: address

From:   6308858418@server.domain.local  [mitel server as setup in DNS]
To:          1340@10.0.3.10 [mitel remote server, but is missing the .domain.local.  Barracuda suggests this also might be a problem]

I have added the mitel server IPs to the barracuda relay as well as the Exchange hub transport relay with no difference.  I've since removed those relay entries.

Offline Tech Electronics

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2014, 12:23:36 PM »
Dan231,

Alright, let's look at a couple of things here and see what we can do to figure this out a little better so you understand what is going on.

Go to System > IP Settings > Look for Domain Name and if it doesn't have anything then just put in the doman that you need the phone system on. That should fix this error

To:          1340@10.0.3.10 [mitel remote server, but is missing the .domain.local.  Barracuda suggests this also might be a problem]

So, just to explain something here the phone system can only point to one E-Mail Server to send mail which is where your issue comes in because you want both UM and VPMN, but all is not lost as they say if we can trick the system into doing what we want.

Are you using Enhanced Intergration for your UM? If not then what are you using for your UM, Forward and Copy?

Have they been able to make the VPMN work if they stop the UM from working? If so then we can create a solution by adding another server most likely depending on what level of integration you are looking for?

Are you using the BVM[UVM]; depending on the software version of the phone sytem, or are you using the EM or Nupoint?

Thanks,

TE

Offline dan231

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2014, 12:27:55 PM »
Domain name = my local domain, it is correct.

I was told we can ONLY use Forward and Copy.
Have they been able to make the VPMN work if they stop the UM from working? If so then we can create a solution by adding another server most likely depending on what level of integration you are looking for?

Are you using the BVM[UVM]; depending on the software version of the phone sytem, or are you using the EM or Nupoint?

You've totally lost me here.

Offline Tech Electronics

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2014, 05:44:45 PM »
Dan231,

Alright so the Domain Name = your local domain then that should be correct so next we need to look at the hostname. I may have these two backwards in my head as well so I looked it up in my notes on how to set this up and apparently I still do; can you tell we don't do this much. Anyway, here is what you need to make sure is happening.

To receive and send e-mail messages using VPIM, the Base Server Hostname or Processing Server Hostname must be identical to the DNS hostname programmed in the Domain Name field under System>IP Settings. If the hostname does not match the DNS server hostname or an alias is used for the address, the system cannot resolve the name and its destination, and the VPIM server may reject the message.

So, when I said that the Domain name fixes the To: portion I was wrong it is the Hostname that fixes that part; sorry. The From: portion is the Domain Name and that seems to be correct.

The other part you need to look at is under Voice Processor > Devices > Nodes under the System Number/Domain you should have the DNS records that they had you create in there, this should not be an IP address. I am going to assume that this is correct, but you never know sometimes technicians mess things up, especially when we believe we can answer questions off the top of our head and mix up Hostname and Domain; not that it has happened mind you.

I am going to assume that you are using the built-in voice processor and do not have an external voice mail server [EM or Nupoint]. If you find out that assumption is wrong then some of what I am telling you may be inaccurate.

Basically, we are going to try and fix your To: portion to see if that fixes the problem you are having since you know you are forward and copy then the rest should be pretty simple.

Thanks,

TE

Offline dan231

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2014, 05:52:55 PM »
thanks for helping   ;D

System: Domain name = domain name, Base Server Hostname = DNS name

Nodes:  The Description = DNS name, the System Number/Domain = IP address.  The tech said this doesn't matter.

Yes, we are using the built-in voice processor.  We have nu point but the techs never set that up.

I've read the system needs to be power cycled after this type of change, is that accurate?  I don't want to mess up anything further.  Should I have the tech change this to the DNS name then?

Offline Tech Electronics

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2014, 06:01:32 PM »
Dan231,

Change the System Number/Domain, if the network type is set to VPIM and not TCP/IP, to the VPIM Home Domain of that node, for example on node 1 looking at node 2: node2.mydomain.local, and this field is required for the node to work properly.

After that do a Backup Database Save to the System and on to your PC then do a reboot to make sure that it takes. When doing the reboot, just to make sure, use the front panel of the system and use the Backup Database function there and then go further down and have the system reset.

Thanks,

TE

Offline dan231

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2014, 06:05:12 PM »
I'll have to do this to all locations.
I won't have physical access to most of them.

And I won't want to bring people down during work hours.  I'll have to do this late one night or early.

Offline Tech Electronics

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2014, 06:09:57 PM »
Dan231,

Just work with one site for now, your site, and see if it works before going all gung ho on it. At some point though you should at least set them up according to Mitel's standard so they have less to complain about before it gets their full attention. Remember you are using SMTP so it is a one-way street as far as emailing goes, and if you get it working on one site you will then know what you need to do with the others.

Thanks,

TE

Offline dan231

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2014, 06:12:00 PM »
I'm not sure how to test this with only one site - I was always able to forward messages with the same branch.  The VPIM was so I could transfer to the other branches.

Offline Tech Electronics

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2014, 06:19:18 PM »
Dan231,

Hmm, maybe I am not saying this correctly, so I will try to rephrase my answer in hopes that it makes more sense.

The 5000 on your site should be able to send out SMTP messages to the other sites regardless of how the other sites are programmed as SMTP is a one-way street. IF this is still a concern you could just change two sites, yours and a remote one, if that makes more sense to you. Once you have made the change to your site you should be able to forward messages to the other sites if that is the problem with your configuration and setup. I have had some luck with not having to reboot the system, even though it says you need to, in some areas of programming; so you could try to forward a message after you make the change on the System Number/Domain.

If you don't want to have to go out to the site to do the physical reset you can do it through the DB programming tool, just make sure that you do the Backup Database Save and Database Save to your PC prior to doing a system reset.

Thanks,

TE

P.S. Duh, forest for the trees moment there. You could just set your systems to do a reset at night when no one is around too.

Offline dan231

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2014, 06:25:38 PM »
Awesome- that, I understand!

Thanks.  I'll try this tomorrow as I just left the office.

Offline dan231

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2014, 10:45:38 AM »
I made the change to my local site [no reboot]

Fwd a msg and now it's blocked:

Action:   Blocked   
Subject:           Reason:   Invalid Domain

From:   1172@mitel-server-name.domain.local        Time:   2014-08-15 09:42:28   
To:   1312@remote-mitel-server-name

The domain.local is not being added.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10