Author Topic: Phones responding slowly  (Read 2728 times)

Offline acejavelin

• Global Moderator
  • High-tech, heavy metal redneck!
    • View Profile
    • Like what I do and wanna help out? Send me a donation!
Phones responding slowly
« on: August 08, 2014, 11:31:51 AM »
I have a customer with a Mitel 5000 v5.1 SP4 PR5 (5.1.0.52) with 32 Mitel 5360 phones, and on a few occasions, like now, all the phones just slow down, with a delay of several seconds to answer or dial, they just kind of become unresponsive for a couple seconds. CPU utilization never exeeds 50%, and is generally only around 20%.

This has happened a few times, reboot seems to clear it up for a while then it recurs. I am doing a weekly reboot on Thursdays at 5:00am (this morning was the last one) and the customer is complaining it is happening again today starting at 10:00am. Any ideas what is going on here?

EDIT: Just spoke to the customer, they are also stating that that sometimes they dial an extension that is idle, and the system says it is busy... Weird.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2014, 11:35:06 AM by acejavelin »

Offline Tech Electronics

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Phones responding slowly
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2014, 02:50:25 PM »
Acejavelin,

What configuration do you have, Base Processor, PEC, PS-1?

How many devices and trunks do you have?

Is it a Canadian Holiday?   :o

Thanks,

TE

Offline bhackbarth

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2014, 03:49:35 PM »
In case you haven't tried it yet, have you tested/compacted the database and then restored the database?   I've run into a couple systems that acted weirdly or sluggishly until I did that procedure.  Even though the utility may not report issues with the database, it is still compacting the database and that made my particular systems happy again.   Again - not a common occurrence but it did cure a couple oddities for me.

Offline acejavelin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2014, 09:27:45 AM »
Turns out it was a hacking attempt from the Internet... It progressively got worse throughout the day, got tech support involved who found the issue in about 5 minutes... syslog log file showed thousands of sshd shadow entries, closed port 22 in the firewall and everything was back to normal in a few seconds.

Odd part is I have seen this in the past at a few 5000's, although not as sever as yesterday's one, lasted for a day or two then stopped... Makes me wonder if it could have been a similar issue...

Sent from my Nexus 4 powered by Beanstalk ROM and Hellscore kernel

Offline Tech Electronics

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2014, 07:40:00 PM »
Acejavelin,

It is good you found that issue and got it fixed. In our default database we have SSH turned off as we had seen an increase in those types of attacks in the past few years. We also have 5060 turned off as well unless we need it and then we implement security as needed through the firewall or the 5000s blacklist.

Thanks,

TE

Offline acejavelin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2014, 10:15:03 PM »
Most of ours are behind firewalls and have 22, 443, and 44000 open to the public for maintenance purposes. If this continues to be trend we will be shutting down 22 or limiting it to our service centers public IP. We keep most other ports closed unless there are remote phones.

Sent from my Nexus 4 powered by Beanstalk ROM and Hellscore kernel

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10