Author Topic: Configuring G729 compression  (Read 2936 times)

Offline MBholah

• Contributer
    • View Profile
Configuring G729 compression
« on: August 04, 2014, 07:24:25 AM »
We are transitioning to IP trunking over MPLS and moving away from our PSTNs.

We need to understanding if the mitels can be setup ideally on the LAN and WAN with regards to CAC and G711 / G729 respectively. I know one form is preferred over the other for LAN and WAN.

Does anyone know where to look or how to setup the CAC and check the mitels will convert to G729 for compression.

We have cisco switches and need to adhere to the cisco guidelines. I was told by Mitel an uncompressed call is 80k / 40k if compressed).

We will try to ask for more bandwidth for EF traffic from our MPLS providers but that is not cheap :) So dont tell us to throw more bandwidth - I just want a better understanding of what to do on the MITEL. Can CAC help us to limit concurrent calls being made etc ?

Thanks.

Online ralph

• Mitel Forums Admin
  • Published Author: http://amzn.to/2dcYSY5
    • View Profile
Re: Configuring G729 compression
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2014, 08:23:49 AM »
Please forgive my denseness but what does "CAC" mean?

Ralph

Offline MBholah

• Contributer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2014, 09:50:24 AM »
Call Admission Control.

Offline marcolive

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2014, 07:34:59 PM »
Yes, CAC can limit the number of calls within a Mitel cluster. You'll have divide your sites in zones and ZAP which are your MPLS links between zones. Zones and ZAP must match your network topology.
From my experience, that's not so easy to do.

All this programming is done with Network Zones and Bandwidth Management forms. Also, online help has great examples.

Finally, you must know that a Mitel 3300 cannot do G.729 on its own. You must buy a DSP II card and appropriate licences. A G.729 resource will be used when the 3300 controller is involded in the path (like a phone call between an IP phone and a TDM trunk/phone connected to the 3300). Phones are able to do G.729 for P2P calls. G.711 will be used if a G.729 resource/license is unavailable.

With Network Zones form, you'll be able to define which zones have to use G.729.

Also, note that some Mitel phone models can use the G.722 codec which uses less bandwidth then G.711 (even if the voice quality is better).

Hope that helps!

Offline MBholah

• Contributer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2014, 05:37:35 AM »
Thats some good information to work with thankyou.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10