Author Topic: Multiple WAN IPs?  (Read 6575 times)

Offline gr8whtd0pe

• View Profile
Multiple WAN IPs?
« on: July 08, 2014, 09:12:28 AM »
I've been having issues with insufficient bandwidth messages popping up in teleworker phones for the last month. I've talked to my ISP, they swear it isn't them. I've replaced the modem, router, and some switches. Mitel learned the system was hacked and we replaced the flash card and locked down more ports.

Its still happening. I'm at a loss here.

My idea, since we have failover, is to maybe put some of the local to me phones on a different ISP to see if they still have issues. I would have to leave the others like they are however. This will allow me to see if it's the ISP or still something internally.

I've not see a way to do this, but hopefully there is.

Offline NTEDave

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Multiple WAN IPs?
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2014, 10:30:21 AM »
I get low bandwidth alarms on internal phones on some shoddy CAT5 networks, where we have a system with lots of home workers I'm tempted to turn the low bandwidth alarm off it happens so frequently.

But crucially we very rarely get users complaining of poor quality calls or calls cutting off.

Do your users suffer with call quality or are they just seeing the alarm?

Offline gr8whtd0pe

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2014, 11:32:59 AM »
I get low bandwidth alarms on internal phones on some shoddy CAT5 networks, where we have a system with lots of home workers I'm tempted to turn the low bandwidth alarm off it happens so frequently.

But crucially we very rarely get users complaining of poor quality calls or calls cutting off.

Do your users suffer with call quality or are they just seeing the alarm?

Office is brand new. All CAT6 inside. It's happening to every single telworker dervice as well, so that rules out a wire on their end being bad. Unless all 43 just went bad at once.

Internal is fine out the PRI.

They are loosing audio and sometimes the calls drop. Its not just the alarm, its legit.

Offline NTEDave

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2014, 11:47:25 AM »
Sounds like the Office Internet connection is bad if all external users are having issues, do you see them all go down or start complaining at the same time?

Offline gr8whtd0pe

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2014, 11:51:40 AM »
Sounds like the Office Internet connection is bad if all external users are having issues, do you see them all go down or start complaining at the same time?

Yup that's my thought (and has been), but the ISP swears it's fine. This is why I want to put some on a different ISP, and leave the others that I can not get to on the current ISP.

Not at the same time. It's random. Remote phones are not used that much, but when they are 99% of the time there is audio loss.

Offline bluewhite4

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2014, 09:06:11 AM »
Is the ISP connection that the 43 remote users are connected through, also used for something else? If so, is it possible that whatever that other use is, it's overwhelming it and choking those remote phones out?

Also, are they traditional 5000 remote phones, or Mitel Teleworkers through an MBG?

Offline gr8whtd0pe

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2014, 02:00:15 PM »
Is the ISP connection that the 43 remote users are connected through, also used for something else? If so, is it possible that whatever that other use is, it's overwhelming it and choking those remote phones out?

Also, are they traditional 5000 remote phones, or Mitel Teleworkers through an MBG?

It is used for everything. Exchange, VPN, the works. It has been for the last year and a half. This all just randomly started on Memorial Day weekend.

Traditional. Just set teleworker to the public IP of the ISP.

Offline gr8whtd0pe

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2014, 11:23:08 AM »
I'm guessing that there is not a way to do this based on the crickets in here. lol

Offline bluewhite4

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2014, 11:28:03 AM »
Since you're using the traditional method, no, there is not a way to do this that I know of since the controller has to know the WAN address thats mapped to it.

I'm a traditional 3300 guy, so multiple teleworkers can do this however. You would put an MBG on each ISP, and then assign phones to the two MBG external servers. Now that MBG can be used with the 5000, I assume this feature is available here as well, but don't know that for certain.

Offline Tech Electronics

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2014, 12:41:43 PM »
gr8whtd0pe,

Are these teleworkers working from home or an external office with a good amount of bandwidth? The problem may not be with your main office side at all if the user's data connection at their home is having the issue. You can try to lower the amount of bandwidth required if they are not already using G.729 for the remote phones.

Thanks,

TE

Offline gr8whtd0pe

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2014, 03:02:17 PM »
gr8whtd0pe,

Are these teleworkers working from home or an external office with a good amount of bandwidth? The problem may not be with your main office side at all if the user's data connection at their home is having the issue. You can try to lower the amount of bandwidth required if they are not already using G.729 for the remote phones.

Thanks,

TE

43 different stores, some with useless Frontier, some with Comcast, some with Suddenlink and one on fiber. I've ruled that out because of that.

Phones are already set to G.729, even changed them back to G.711 Mu-Law under Mitel's advice. Thinking it might not timeout so fast.

Wonder why there is 2 settings for IP Connections under System - Device and Feature Codes - IP Connections. Could I set the second one (P6002) that is not set to the second WAN IP? Wouldn't that allow both connections to come into the system?

Offline Tech Electronics

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2014, 07:28:25 AM »
Gr8whtd0pe,

Unfortunately no, the second one is only if you have a PEC-1 card installed in the system and if there was one you would have to have a second public IP address for the phones to work properly. Most likely you see that as P6001 and it had a red X next to it meaning the card is not installed.

Has your vendor set up a VoIP test box between your main site and one that is having problems to determine the issue you are having?

Sorry,

TE

Offline gr8whtd0pe

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2014, 04:29:48 PM »
Gr8whtd0pe,

Unfortunately no, the second one is only if you have a PEC-1 card installed in the system and if there was one you would have to have a second public IP address for the phones to work properly. Most likely you see that as P6001 and it had a red X next to it meaning the card is not installed.

Has your vendor set up a VoIP test box between your main site and one that is having problems to determine the issue you are having?

Sorry,

TE

No red X.  8)

My vendor is useless. They are the local phone company. I have his admin login and do 99% of the work myself thanks to these forums. He even made the comment that I should take the test and get certified lol.

Only thing they have done is called their NOC, which tries to help, kinda, and then if it gets bad calls Mitel.

Offline Tech Electronics

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2014, 05:37:37 PM »
Gr8whtd0pe,

From what I have noticed everyone, regardless of skill or knowledge passes the certification course if they are able to pass the entrance exam; which is relatively simple.

So, as I am now dumbfounded as to how your system is working properly at all can you go to.

System > IP Settings > Static Expansion Card IP Address

1. Does that line exist, should be under Static Processor Module IP Address?
2. Does it have a red X next to it?
3. Is it on the same network as the Processor Module?

If the answers are Yes, No, Yes then go here and look at this line?

System > Devices and Feature Codes > IP Connections > P6001 Expansion Card > NAT IP Address

Is there something there other than 255.255.255.255 ?
Is this one of your Public IP Addresses?
Are all the correct ports NAT'd from that Public IP to the Static Expansion Card IP Address?

So, basically what I am looking at is that the Base Processor and the Expansion Card have separate Public IP addresses and that the Private IP Addresses are on the same network. If any part of this is not valid than I would be surprised if your remote phones had any audio at all, but I wouldn't be surprised if they were having problems.

Thanks,

TE

Offline gr8whtd0pe

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2014, 08:08:27 PM »
That line does not exist.

255.255.255.255 is what is listed.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10