Author Topic: Replacement / alternatives for 8602 softphone  (Read 2483 times)

Offline jpitor

• Contributer
    • View Profile
Replacement / alternatives for 8602 softphone
« on: June 10, 2014, 07:00:22 PM »
Hello all - my company is running a 5000 CP with mostly digital endpoints but we have 4 softphone users.  They're running the old 8602 software client.  I was in need of a few more licenses, but my vendor told me that the associated license "category B" was EOL?  Didn't get any details beyond that. 

Is there a newer method for software-only users to connect?

Offline Tech Electronics

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Replacement / alternatives for 8602 softphone
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2014, 07:20:40 PM »
Jpitor,

There are other offerings from Mitel such as the UC softphone, but you could also go with any SIP compliant softphone such as the 3CX SIP softphone.

Thanks,

TE

Offline jpitor

• Contributer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2014, 11:29:58 AM »
I like the looks of the 3CX - free is always good!  So I assume that going with a SIP phone option would require a Category F license?

Offline Tech Electronics

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2014, 11:59:40 AM »
Jpitor,

Correct Category F is for SIP Devices, just keep in mind that not all system features will work with every SIP Softphone.

Thanks,

TE

Offline IPInstaller

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2014, 07:32:04 AM »
You may want to investigate Xarios Phone Manager Version 4 which has a Soft Phone Client.

Offline jpitor

• Contributer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2019, 08:10:25 PM »
I was going to create a new topic but forgot that I'd asked this ages ago.  So revisiting the same question - since it's been quite a while, are there any new recommended softphone options for a 5000, to replace the 8602?  We've since purchased the MiVoice Office Application Suite, along with some various phone manager licenses.  But even with a phone manager 5.0 client in full softphone mode, we still find it lacking in usability and "desk phone replacement" functionality when compared to the old 8602.  Also tried bria v4, and 3cx.  All of the SIP type applications just don't seem to be as tightly integrated.

Offline Tech Electronics

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2019, 07:06:04 AM »
jpitor,

The issue you are having is that the 8602 is not a SIP phone it is an IP Phone so it uses the OAI stream. This was developed by Inter-Tel years ago when the Inter-Tell Axxess was still being installed, and there is no replacement for that phone unfortunately.

The only option you may have is to talk to Mitel Engineer Support to see what other "software" options may be out there or if there is a way to get the 8602 working with a different license type.

The SIP functionality on the MiVO-250 is getting better, but it still isn't on par with a phone that uses the OAI stream. I have been dabbling with the software developers kit to make a SIP phone that opens a path for OAI in order to provide more functionality, but I haven't been wholly successful with that to date.

Sorry,

TE

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10