Author Topic: Music on Hold - Awful Quality on Mobiles  (Read 4472 times)

Offline original

• Contributer
    • View Profile
Music on Hold - Awful Quality on Mobiles
« on: June 09, 2014, 10:05:26 AM »
Hi,

We have recently set-up a Mitel 5000 system. I have introduced a File based Music On Hold - which sounds fantastic when you are calling internally or off a land-line. However, calling off a mobile phone sounds awful.

The MOH cuts out, sounds distorted (almost like wind blowing in a tunnel) and it sounds like you a making a massive long distance call! - When the voice over comes on (to announce number in queue), that sounds perfect. Then it goes back to distortion.

The original file was a MP3, converted to WAV, coverted to the Mitel standard.

Any idea's why it's doing this and how to fix it?

Many thanks!
James

Offline akuhn

• View Profile
Re: Music on Hold - Awful Quality on Mobiles
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2014, 10:07:47 AM »
I am definitely NOT an expert at this, but I have noticed that with Mobile Technology, the 5000 doesn't like it that Mobiles sound like they aren't there.  Sometimes the voice mail will cut off when mobile user is trying to leave a message because the 5000 doesn't "hear" the mobile user.  I wonder if that's related to the music on hold issue?

Adam in DC

Offline original

• Contributer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2014, 11:04:03 AM »
Hi Adam,

We don't seem to be having that issue. It does only seem limited to MOH and calling from a mobile.
I have read somewhere that mobile networks use different compression factors, and that this could be what is affecting it.

Is there a specified dB level that needs to be adhered to for File MOH?

Many thanks,
James

Offline akuhn

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2014, 11:12:00 AM »
Unfortunately, that's the extent of what I can offer.  I'm an end user, but there are dealers on this board who might be able to help.

Offline jjordon

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2014, 11:21:03 AM »
I have a similar issue with a different phone system. However, when I try it from my cell, it sounds just fine.  Unfortunately, mine appears to be cellular carrier related.  Can you replicate it from your cell?

Offline DND ON

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2014, 04:11:06 PM »
I've noticed the same problem, and think that you're on the right track with the compression rate. On the same system, external MOH sounds just fine and the file based sounds like crap.

Offline Tech Electronics

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2014, 09:09:20 AM »
James,

You have stumbled upon both answers that most likely are causing your issue.

1. Carrier Codec
2. Audio Level

Most likely it will be the audio level in my experience with this issue, but I have had issues with audio due to carrier compression, but then all audio is bad not just the MoH.

Try adjusting the volume when you convert the .wav file to .n64u and see if it causing clipping on the audio. There is a setting for volume in dB when doing the conversion so go both ways. I suggest padding it down to start and then adjust it up until you run into the problem again.

Thanks,

TE

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10