Author Topic: Ongoing Mitel Phone Issues  (Read 3690 times)

Offline BobbyMitel

• View Profile
Ongoing Mitel Phone Issues
« on: May 20, 2014, 10:30:25 AM »
Hey guys -

5-7 months issues with one site of my eight that continues to intermittently drop for no apparent reason.  We have a T1/PRI coming into an Adtran via Windstream.  It then goes to our Mitel 3300 PBX.  Verizon feeds Windstream service for the T1.  T1 is only using voice as we have all data going through Comcast.

Windstream has pointed the finger at Verizon and Mitel, while Mitel says they don't see anything wrong in the logs.  What has been done:

1.  Verizon traced the entire circuit and didn't see any problems with their equipment
2.  Windstream has replaced their Adtran and swapped to a different pair of wires as the connection goes from one building to another (30 feet away)
3.  Mitel has replaced the T1 card and the clock in the controller

They have continued to monitor the circuit and it is mostly error free but occasionally will get errors on it.  These errors always point towards the PBX as they are SLIP errors.  In the past, when the phones go down, I will go into the server room and see that the data light on the Adtran is red.  Doesn't that point towards Windstream or Verizon? 

All logs in the Mitel don't point to anything in particular.  I see a lot of heartbeat errors, some ICP lost connections to a particular IP address.  I see an occasional packet loss/jitter error message. 

I am stuck on trying to get this fixed as I am just playing the middle man.  One company blames the other while the other blames right back.  Does anyone have any ideas that I can look into?  Maybe some commands to run that might point something out that Mitel is missing?  I apologize now as I am a complete novice at this.  The person who ran the phone system left and literally only showed me how to change names in the phone system.  I have learned everything by trial and error.

Thanks

Offline ralph

• Mitel Forums Admin
  • Published Author: http://amzn.to/2dcYSY5
    • View Profile
Re: Ongoing Mitel Phone Issues
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2014, 10:54:55 AM »
I feel your pain.
Been there, done that - many times.

The Adtran router is there because Windstream is delivering the voice via VoIP to the router.  The router hands off to a TDM PRI.
Generally speaking, you can blame the Adtran.

If when the problem happens, does the carrier say they don't see a problem?
Here's what I've done in the past.
When the T1 goes down, I've "accidentally" power cycled the Adtran.
When it magically started working again, I called the carrier and demanded they replace the router.

Ralph

Offline x-man

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2014, 01:11:58 PM »
What have you got the PRI clocking to on the Mitel? It should be clocking to the external PRI (which I would suppose would be the Adrran in this case. make sure that its clocking to the PLID of the PRI card in network synch.

Offline Mattmayn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2014, 08:24:03 PM »
I'm with Ralph on this one. Something isn't correct in the Adtran.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline BobbyMitel

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2014, 12:14:09 PM »
Thanks for the help guys.  To update....

I had a second vendor meet with Verizon and Windstream.  Verizon got there early and tested clean and was on the way out the door when I stopped him and said "No, no....You stay here until Windstream clears you"  Windstream came and tested head to head and found rolling errors from one Verizon CO to another.  It turns out that Verizon was only testing from the closest CO and that leg of the route was clean.  I still don't fully understand why they didn't test other parts of the route??  As for the explanation for what was caused the latency...DUST!  Verizon reported that it was so dirty and dusty in the CO that it was causing intermittent issues with our PRI.

The next issue.... Intermittent latency on the MPLS when calls come in on the PRI and go over the MPLS to connect to the AA.  Often times the AA is static and/or delayed or sometimes drop.  I am going to guess that there is another "dusty" CO out on that route.

Thanks again

---------------------------------------

Offline ralph

• Mitel Forums Admin
  • Published Author: http://amzn.to/2dcYSY5
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2014, 01:38:52 PM »
That reminds me of an old phone prank where someone (Never me of course  ;D ) would call a residence and let them know that we were with the phone company and need to blow the dust out of the lines.  We recommended that they place all their phones in a plastic bag so dust wouldn't get all over their house.

Just silly.   With IP we ask them to have towels ready because we needed to empty the bit bucket.

Ralph

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10