Author Topic: IP Paging Unit  (Read 3223 times)

Offline JasonTL

• View Profile
IP Paging Unit
« on: April 21, 2014, 11:40:29 AM »
Anyone have any experience with the IP Paging unit between locations/controllers using a Cisco ASA? We have a customer that recently added a VPN to connect their two sites. They have a paging unit currently. They are wanting to page the other location through the ASA. I am having trouble much information about such a setup.

Offline acejavelin

• Global Moderator
  • High-tech, heavy metal redneck!
    • View Profile
    • Like what I do and wanna help out? Send me a donation!
Re: IP Paging Unit
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2014, 06:43:23 PM »
There is really nothing special to it, it is just like a IP endpoint but it can only be configured via DHCP... as long as the DHCP server onsite gives it the proper Option 125/128+ it will connect just like any other IP device. We do this a lot over varying VPNs with no issues at all.

Offline JasonTL

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2014, 09:05:39 AM »
I have it up and working at one location, just trying to add a second location through VPN for paging.

Offline JasonTL

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2014, 10:25:34 AM »
I have been handed this project in the middle of the process. So, just for an FYI update:

2 locations, both currently have 3300 controllers and both have IP paging units. Its is not set up to call from location to location by extension. Both paging units are working locally correctly.

They want to page from one location to both locations at the same time through a Cisco ASA. Anyone set this up in the same way that could point me in the right direction? I haven't set up IP trunks between 2 locations yet.

Offline Mattmayn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2014, 02:01:51 PM »
You will need to setup the IP trunks between the sites to make the sets reachable from each controller. They act just like a set would. As long as the routing is correct on the network and you know how to configure the cluster you will be fine.

Offline acejavelin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2014, 02:52:04 PM »
I would definitely cluster them and setup SDS, it makes things like this very simple and can give you some redundancy in the event of a system failure, note this will require an Enterprise software license and not stand-alone... otherwise doing this to page both simultaneously could be troublesome.

Offline JasonTL

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2014, 03:17:38 PM »
Thanks for the replies guys. Can you cluster them while in production or would downtime be required?

Offline acejavelin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2014, 05:36:11 PM »
Thanks for the replies guys. Can you cluster them while in production or would downtime be required?
Once the licenses are loaded you should be able to do it in production, although I would do it during a slower traffic time just in case, sometimes a reboot is required to get things to "kick in"

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10