Author Topic: NTP Server  (Read 4978 times)

Offline pakman

• View Profile
NTP Server
« on: March 25, 2014, 04:43:32 PM »
Hello,

I have pointed our PBX's at our NTP server and the pc and phone are a minute off still. I'm wondering how often does the PBX query the NTP server for updates? I couldn't find anything specific in the help guide.

Thanks,

Offline pakman

• View Profile
Re: NTP Server
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2014, 08:34:28 AM »
I just wanted to add when I look under all maintenance/software logs I have the following.

setPollerSynchronization failed as RTC - NTP SERVER drift is more than 10 secs

if anyone knows how to correct this please let me know.

Offline pakman

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2014, 08:42:43 AM »
I should of added I have posted about this before and at the time the domain controller was uing internal time it's now going to a NTP server on the internet. Under the Data and Time form I have used the IP address of that domain controller in the "NTP Server DNS" field. What I don't get is when I'm in the date and time form it shows a current date and time but this doesn't match my phone. I hit refresh to make sure its as accurate as can be, it's two minutes behind what the phone shows and my pc is one minute behind my phone.

Online ralph

• Mitel Forums Admin
  • Published Author: http://amzn.to/2dcYSY5
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2014, 09:25:39 AM »
I think I've seen this discussion before since others have had the same concern you have.

Updating the time on the phones is a low priority for the system.
I've heard where others have called into Mitel regarding this and were basically told that the phone display is an "approximation of the actual time".

I don't think there is anything you're going to be able to do about this unless you want to remove the NTP server and set the clock manually ahead by one minute.

Ralph

Offline x-man

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2014, 09:30:19 AM »
I don't know the actual answer to your question but on my system in the office which has pool.ntp.org as its NTP server and also a remote phone via a MBG connection to another system which has the same server details I find that my PC and both phones are sometimes all in sync and sometimes the phones are different to the PC and sometimes all three show different times but all within a minute or so of each other. My suspicion is that (due to them not showing the seconds) the phones only poll the 3300 (in both cases here) evry 2 minutes for their time and also that sometimes my logs show that the time server is not reachable for a minute or so so the time drifts and the phones then take a little while to catch up (which is when the phones and the PC all show the same time discounting the seconds).

Right now my local phone is about 20 seconds behind the remote phone and my PC which are very much in sync to a few seconds.

Offline jrg0852

• Look out for the next tech. because it may be you!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2014, 09:37:11 AM »
I'm curious. Are you using time.nist.gov for your source, which is what most PC's use? We have our system clocking to this and it's always dead on. Thanks.

Offline pakman

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2014, 11:20:55 AM »
I found out were using 0.us.pool.ntp.org, 1.us.pool.ntp.org....all the way to 3. It's curious I"m at Site a since I was moved here but my phone is actually tied to site b and my pc and phone are off 1 minute. However, when I looked at pc/phone time on other stations in site a there pc time is correct like mine but their phones are 5 minutes behind. I looked through both a and b configs and the only thing I saw different was I didn't have the domain set under DNS in teh IP properties form. I set this so maybe it syncs up in 24 hours....I guess I will find out.

Offline pakman

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2014, 01:46:23 PM »
Thought I would update this for future reference. I disabled the date and time field then re-enabled it and everything synced up. Maybe there's a maintenance command that does the samething but I couldn't find one.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10