Author Topic: Keeping the 5000, upgrading the phones  (Read 4689 times)

Offline akuhn

• View Profile
Keeping the 5000, upgrading the phones
« on: March 20, 2014, 09:45:35 AM »
Could use some feedback on this situation.  First, I'm not a phone expert, but I'm a half-decent IT Manager who's managed to get more out of our 5000 than others before me.

So our association is moving locations.  I have the base 5000 with some expansion modules, integrated VM (not enterprise) and Multitech Fax.  Our handsets are the older digital Inter-Tel models.  I have some traditional fax machines and analog polycoms on the floor.  The polycoms works great, once I got rid of the Konnex Digital/Analog converters and had Mitel run analog lines to the conference rooms.

In the new location, the current plan is to provide 2 RJ45 connections to the offices...Cat 6 for the PC's running GB connections and Cat 5e for phones, which would be new Mitel Handsets that I'll roll into our current Mitel lease (we're serviced by Mitel...not a dealer.  I love our tech, but not as much the sales org).  I would assume that most with agree with me that it would be un-wise to wire our new space for digital phones.  This is the opportunity to upgrade handsets.

My understanding of our 5000 (which is currently at OS 5.X and I've scheduled an upgrade to 6.X) is that it supports the IP phones just fine.  However, can I still keep those few analog phones such as the Polycoms and the Fax Machines?  I really don't want to get into Ethernet based conference phones.  They seem a lot more expensive, especially in the Mitel line, and the Polycoms are cheap and work great.

We also have a VM running MAS 3.0 which serves as our UCA server.  And we have a physical machine running MAS 3.0 which serves as our AWC server.  After we upgrade our 5000 to 6.X, I am tackling the unification of those two MAS boxes into one.  I'll just say it has been really hard working with Mitel on that.  The obfuscation factor has been high.  But I have minimum 2 years left on our lease, and after we add these new handsets, I'll probably be going back to a new 5 year lease.

Thanks.

Adam in DC

Offline DND ON

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Keeping the 5000, upgrading the phones
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2014, 12:07:13 PM »
No issues with analog devices, you already own the ports. When you remove the digital keyset cards, you’ll open up slots for more analog cards if they’re needed in the future.

I generally install a separate patch panel for trunks and analog ports, and another for the extended demarc, to make connections quick and easy. I use color-coded patch cords to identify IP phones, analog devices and desktops/printers.

Offline Tech Electronics

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2014, 01:50:44 PM »
Akuhn,

I agree with DND ON as you already have the resource cards so no additional expense and they are easy to implement. You could alternately get the Conference Module attachment if you are getting 5330, 5340, or 5360 IP Phones. Also if you are getting that style phone it the e-series comes with Gig NICs so you could just as easily run Cat 6 for everything which will allow you to use the jacks for either PCs or Phones.

Version 6.1 just came out on March 5th so it is pretty new and I believe that 7.0 will be coming out this year as well.

As for the new MAS the new versions come with all the blades on one server now and it is easier to administer through Users and Services.

Thanks,

TE

Offline akuhn

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2014, 01:53:21 PM »
do you have any links to this Conference Module Attachment?  If it's the MiVoice, those are really expensive, but I don't think that's what you're saying.

Thanks.

Offline Tech Electronics

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2014, 02:26:09 PM »
Akuhn,

No I sure don't right off-hand, but if you look up the Mitel 5310 Conference Unit you should find it on edocs.mitel.com under end-user documents.

Thanks,

TE

Offline bluewhite4

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2014, 02:35:28 PM »
Akuhn,

No I sure don't right off-hand, but if you look up the Mitel 5310 Conference Unit you should find it on edocs.mitel.com under end-user documents.

Thanks,

TE
Tech, I believe the 5310 is end of life, and only available in limited quantities (if not already all gone).

Offline akuhn

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2014, 02:38:03 PM »
thanks for the follow up.  It would be great to know what most folks are using for conference phones with the 5000.  While I'm at it, what solution is good in a larger conference room where you would hang mics from the ceiling, etc?

Offline Tech Electronics

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2014, 02:46:01 PM »
Akuhn,

We mostly deal with Polycom, Clearone, and Mitel on conference phones. Now I did work on a Revolabs FLX SIP Conference phone on a 3300 and it did ok after I spent a few days figuring out how to make it work since it wasn't listed on the SIP Center of Excellence and therefore no documentation.

As for ceiling speakers I only worked with those on the Polycom, but you really have to want to hear everything if you go that route; lol.

Thanks,

TE

Offline Hovus

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2014, 03:01:48 PM »
UC360 works with the 5000 too, not bad 4 person conference phone. Plus...it looks pretty...

Offline DND ON

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2014, 03:07:41 PM »
We’re using a Biamp digital processor for ceiling mics in our conference rooms, using an iPad interface for the Crestron controller. The execs just love playing with the iPad. Sound quality is very good, and was much less expensive than a Polycom solution.

As to the 5310 Conference Unit, it has been discontinued, I’m sure to push sales towards the UC360. The UC360 is pretty cool, but not at all user friendly. I would stay with the analog Polycoms you already own, or look into the Polycom 5000 or 7000 if you want to go IP. Their advantage is being SIP phones the feature keys actually work, as opposed to using hookflash and feature codes with the analog units.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10