Author Topic: L2&Boot download err  (Read 7423 times)

Offline kwahodi

• View Profile
L2&Boot download err
« on: February 16, 2014, 11:08:59 PM »
Hi Support,

I'm getting this error when phones are booting -"L2&Boot download error" Initially we were called up after an IP Console 5550 locked up. I connected a normal handset (5224) onto this port (one of their working extensions) just to test and thats when I encountered this error. I attempted to reconnect the extension back to its port but encountered the same error. I also tested another working extension by disconnecting and reconnecting. Upon reconnecting, it goes through the boot cycle, picks up the correct VLAN and an IP address, however I get the error followed by "main unavailable. Resetting phone". The extensions that are connected are working fine but if you restart the phone, you don't get connection. No changes have been done to the switches or DHCP settings - the controller is the DHCP server. We recently upgraded this controller from MDC 5 SP2 to MCD 6 SP2. I have even tried connecting in teleworker mode but no luck. Are the phones trying to download the firmware from controller and failing? Has anyone encountered this issue before?

Thanks.

Offline ralph

• Mitel Forums Admin
  • Published Author: http://amzn.to/2dcYSY5
    • View Profile
Re: L2&Boot download err
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2014, 09:21:08 AM »
Odds are pretty good it's a bad phone.
here's a recent related post:
mitelforums.com/forum/index.php/topic,4822.0.html

Ralph

Offline lundah

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Chief Grunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2014, 09:22:12 AM »
Upon bootup, the phones will attempt to connect to the TFTP server specified in the boot options and check the firmware files there against what's in memory on the set itself. If there's a mismatch, the set will do a TFTP pull from the server of the new files. The fact that you're getting this error says that either the TFTP server is unavailable or the files are missing. Double-check your DHCP options for the correct TFTP server address (usually the same as the RTC IP of the contoller).

Offline bluewhite4

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2014, 09:35:57 AM »
If you've got multiple phones having this issue once their rebooted, then I have some test for you.

Start my statically forcing a phone to the voice vlan, by holding the 9 key on boot.

If that doesn't change anything, statically set IP Address, Netmask, Gateway, ICP, TFTP, VLan, and Priority on the phone.

If that does work and the phone downloads, then you've got a DHCP issue. My experience has been that the data DHCP source is somehow answering broadcasts on the voice vlan now as well. Usually means someone's moved the data DHCP source to a different switch port, that has both vlans on it, when it should be data vlan only.

Offline kwahodi

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2014, 05:30:14 PM »
Hi guys,

Thanks for your responses as always.

Ralph - I doubt that it's a faulty phone. I have already tried 2 different phones. I found these 2 phones working perfectly when I got there. However when I rebooted the phones, I got the error....strange really.

I will not be onsite until tomorrow, so will try the other suggestions abit later. Lucky for me, when I checked the DHCP lease viewer last, all the phones have DHCP leases for at least another week.

I've hit another issue though, I cannot seem to be able to access the ESM an this controller. When I browse to the url of the controller, the browser times out. Could these issues be related? Should I attempt a reboot or is there a chance I could loose the working phones if I have not solved the boot issue yet?

Thanks guys!

Offline johnkeri

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2014, 05:01:49 PM »
Got yourself a nice problem.
Start with the basics!
What is the IP address that the phone gets?
What are the ranges in the controller?

If you have a second port open on the controller connect to that, or setup a switch port with voice VLAN only access (no tagging on voice, no access to the data VLAN)

Before all that, can you ping the controller?

Offline kwahodi

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2014, 04:55:48 PM »
Hi Guys,

I was instructed by Mitel to do a software diagnostic reboot. They will let me know what caused the issue. Apparently the controller was not presenting the phones with the firmware? The site has predominantly 5224 handset's. Before I did the reboot, I had previously configured a 5320. This phone connected just fine with no issues. Maybe it was just the 5224 firmware that had an issue. Anyway, thanks for your input guys.

Regards,

Offline JasonTL

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2014, 03:50:32 PM »
What was the diagnostic command? I am having a similar issue. We moved from a 200 to a 3300 and I have around 50 phones. All but two came up fine and are working. The other two have  "main unavailable" error. I have moved one phone to a location of a good working phone, get the same error. Any suggestions?

J

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10