Author Topic: Audit Mitel system for 'dead' users?  (Read 10863 times)

Offline pstones

• Contributer
    • View Profile
Audit Mitel system for 'dead' users?
« on: February 04, 2014, 05:29:06 AM »
We have a Mitel 3300 controller.  We have 320 licenses in use but according to our receptionist who maintains our telephone list there are only approx 290 extensions in use.  I believe we have had people come and go who are still registered and therefore using a license on our system.  Does anyone know of a way to audit the system automatically and generate some sort of report that will help us identify 'dead' users.

Thanks in advance for your time.

Online ralph

• Mitel Forums Admin
  • Published Author: http://amzn.to/2dcYSY5
    • View Profile
Re: Audit Mitel system for 'dead' users?
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2014, 08:19:08 AM »
You could export the User and Device form into Excel then go through it manually.

You could also go to maintenance commands and enter "stat 1".  It will show you all PLIDs that are idle/busy/OS.
Then enter "loc plid <out of service PLID>"   This will show you extension that are programmed but not plugged in.

Ralph

Offline lundah

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Chief Grunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2014, 08:43:15 AM »
Assuming your sets are all IP, you can also look at the "All IP Telephones" form and look for anything with State = "Out of Service".

Offline pstones

• Contributer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2014, 09:38:03 AM »
The IP Telephones - All does not give me what I need and also the other suggestion doesn't seem a quick win either.  I'm amazed they don't make this feature simple to do as there must be a lot of wasted licenses out there.

Offline lundah

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Chief Grunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2014, 09:48:57 AM »
System Capacity Display will show you how many licenses you have and how many sets are programmed, but again, you'd have to look at All IP Telephones to find any sets that are programmed but not actively communicating with the controller.

Offline acejavelin

• Global Moderator
  • High-tech, heavy metal redneck!
    • View Profile
    • Like what I do and wanna help out? Send me a donation!
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2014, 10:19:40 AM »
You could export the User and Device form into Excel then go through it manually.

You could also go to maintenance commands and enter "stat 1".  It will show you all PLIDs that are idle/busy/OS.
Then enter "loc plid <out of service PLID>"   This will show you extension that are programmed but not plugged in.

Ralph
Assuming these are all IP phones, you can see if they are connected or not in the IP Phone Inventory under the maintenance section, includes extension, username, extension, etc. all show up there. Then all you have to track down manually is the analog and digital extensions, if there are any.

Offline pstones

• Contributer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2014, 10:48:59 AM »
Thanks for the replies guy's but none of these get me where I need to be.  All the IP devices are still connected and in use it's just that they are being used by new users.  We have not removed some old ones but need to automatically work out which users have not logged in for a while i.e. they are dead users.

Online ralph

• Mitel Forums Admin
  • Published Author: http://amzn.to/2dcYSY5
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2014, 11:25:40 AM »
We have not removed some old ones but need to automatically work out which users have not logged in for a while i.e. they are dead users.

It just occurred to me that it must be tough working environment to have a bunch of "dead users" lying around. ;)
And you might think I'm kidding when I say that in a couple of systems I work on I see a lot of logs complaining about "Zombie Phones".

But seriously, I'm sorry we couldn't come up with a better solution for you.
Perhaps you could capture your SMDR and see what extensions are making out bound calls.

Ralph

Offline LoopyLou

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2014, 12:02:17 PM »
Until your last post we didn't really understand what you were talking about as all the suggestions were correct based on the original post. I do not believe there is a way to tell if a hotdesk ID is "dead" or not.

Offline pstones

• Contributer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2014, 04:41:43 AM »
Thanks for the suggestions guy's.  I think Mitel make it hard to work out as they want the license money.

Offline Mattmayn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2014, 07:20:13 AM »
I'm not sure it is fair to blame Mitel for a system that has lots of programming that is unnecessary due to poor administration. If everything is named can't you just get a current list of users and delete anything that doesn't match? I would keep a record of what was deleted in case the list isn't correct or something stops working.

When you say users are you referring to ACD Agents, Hotdesk users or physical sets?

Offline pstones

• Contributer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2014, 03:44:24 AM »
I'm not sure it is fair to blame Mitel for a system that has lots of programming that is unnecessary due to poor administration. If everything is named can't you just get a current list of users and delete anything that doesn't match? I would keep a record of what was deleted in case the list isn't correct or something stops working.

When you say users are you referring to ACD Agents, Hotdesk users or physical sets?

No one has the time to go through a list of 320 hotdesk users and work out which ones are not valid.  We have a similar problem with active directory (if you know what that is), no one tells us people have left but we can run a script and it tells us AD users that have not been used for a certain length of time and then we delete them.

Offline Mattmayn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2014, 07:23:43 AM »
All I am saying is that this is more of a problem with policies and proceedures at the company.

Offline LoopyLou

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2014, 08:34:11 AM »
Agree with Mattmayn. The fact you have lots of "dead" AD accounts and hotdesk uses shows that the company needs to setup better ( or some ) admin procedures. Don't think Mitel is go to build systems to make up for poor administration practices.

Offline pstones

• Contributer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2014, 11:05:00 AM »
I totally agree it's an admin/procedural problem but it amazes me that Mitel do not have a similar thing to AD where we can just see when the users last logged into a phone.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10