Author Topic: Mitel 3300 Upgrade  (Read 13034 times)

Offline pradeepgali

• View Profile
Mitel 3300 Upgrade
« on: January 28, 2014, 05:22:03 PM »
Hi, I am trying to upgrade Mitel 330 from V6.0 to V6.0 SP2. As part of that i have downloaded the .exe. file from mitel website. Using the software installer software software, i selected 3300 FTP and navigated to software location on my PC. When i click Next, i am gtting an error message saying"No compatible version found".

Offline bluewhite4

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Mitel 3300 Upgrade
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2014, 05:23:52 PM »
The exe is a self-extracting file. Did you run the exe to extract the software load, and then point the Software installer tool to the extraction folder?

Offline acejavelin

• Global Moderator
  • High-tech, heavy metal redneck!
    • View Profile
    • Like what I do and wanna help out? Send me a donation!
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2014, 12:39:30 AM »
Wait... you can just drop the files on your PC and in any directory and tell the 3300 to act as the "FTP server" by just setting the path in the installer??? You mean I don't need to use Filezilla and "External File Server" configuration? Am I confused and a out of date here, or ???

Offline johnp

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2014, 01:39:04 AM »
I think you can just point to the location of the extracted files. Never do it but believe you can.

Offline bluewhite4

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2014, 07:25:59 AM »
Wait... you can just drop the files on your PC and in any directory and tell the 3300 to act as the "FTP server" by just setting the path in the installer??? You mean I don't need to use Filezilla and "External File Server" configuration? Am I confused and a out of date here, or ???
Yeah...don't remember when it was added to the Software Installer tool, but I/we've always done it the traditional FTP server way. Done the extracted files way once...was a complete offsite upgrade over vpn, and I was convinced that something wasn't going to go right. But it worked perfectly.

Online ralph

• Mitel Forums Admin
  • Published Author: http://amzn.to/2dcYSY5
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2014, 08:08:52 AM »
Here's how I do it.
I have a folder under the root call inetpub.  If you have MS ISS running on your PC I think you'll have it too.
Under \inetpub I create my software version directories.   
c:\inetpub\6.0sp1
c:\inetpub\6.0sp2

Now I've turned off ISS on my PC because I like filezilla a whole lot more betterer.
Then in Filezilla I set up a user for each version of software.
I have user 6.0sp1 and 6.0sp2  (etc).
The passwords match the user name.
For each user I point to the matching "shared" folder.
Now when I use the SI tool, I just put the user name and password and it pulls the correct software version.

Ralph

Offline lundah

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Chief Grunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2014, 09:39:32 AM »
I think you can just point to the location of the extracted files. Never do it but believe you can.

Yep, this is definitely possible and I think it goes back to 3300 release 8 or 9. I just upgraded a few hundred nodes from 9.0 to MCD 4, and had to use this option instead of my normal FTP server for a few sites that had flaky network links to the FTP server. Worked like a champ. Also handy if you just plain don't have an FTP location to load the software to, as mentioned you just run the installation .exe and point SI to the folder that you installed the software at, regardless if it's an FTP root folder or not.

Offline pradeepgali

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2014, 10:43:12 AM »
Thanks for all your comments. Extracting the .exe file and pointing the software installer tool to the extracted files works. Thanks all.

Offline acejavelin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2014, 12:03:07 PM »
Guess we really do learn something everyday... I will have to try this next time!

Offline x-man

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2014, 01:17:08 PM »
I have only ever done it that since since it first came out....hate messing with FTP in general if I can avoid it. :P

Offline acejavelin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2014, 06:55:03 PM »
I have only ever done it that since since it first came out....hate messing with FTP in general if I can avoid it. :P
I have done it long enough that I don't care either way, I find it quite simple...

Also, FTP is handy for other things... We setup an "account" on our corporate FTP server for each Mitel 3300, and schedule automatic backups in the 3300 to it on a monthly basis, saved my butt a time or two.

Offline johnkeri

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2014, 03:13:13 PM »
Just to confuse people, they changed this awhile back.
It used to extract to the inetpub\ftproot folder but no longer.
Just change the install destination folder to that and you'll be fine. (Myself, keep forgetting it, then scream!)
You can also use the FTP on the controller, but don't!

Offline lundah

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Chief Grunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2014, 11:56:36 AM »
Just to confuse people, they changed this awhile back.
It used to extract to the inetpub\ftproot folder but no longer.
Just change the install destination folder to that and you'll be fine. (Myself, keep forgetting it, then scream!)
You can also use the FTP on the controller, but don't!

As long as the machine you're running the installation package on has an active FTP server running, it should install it into the ftp root folder.

I'm curious as to why you say don't use the FTP on the controller? I've found that method to be actually more reliable than loading from an external FTP server, though it takes longer to do the transfer of the new software to the inactive partition (2-3 hours instead of 1-1.5 in my experience, your results will vary).

Offline acejavelin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2014, 08:41:43 AM »
As long as the machine you're running the installation package on has an active FTP server running, it should install it into the ftp root folder.
Should read: "As long as the machine you're running the installation package on has an active WINDOWS FTP server running, it should install it into the ftp root folder" if it doesn't, it will install the software by default in the regular program directory under a separate folder based on the release version number.

Offline lundah

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Chief Grunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2014, 08:44:37 AM »
Should read: "As long as the machine you're running the installation package on has an active WINDOWS FTP server running, it should install it into the ftp root folder" if it doesn't, it will install the software by default in the regular program directory under a separate folder based on the release version number.

Good point. I like to use FileZilla on my laptops instead of Windows IIS, that way I can have multiple releases available for transfer to a 3300, and decide which release I load based on the username/password.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10