Author Topic: Hiding an internal number in the Directory  (Read 6402 times)

Offline mrmo

• Contributer
    • View Profile
Hiding an internal number in the Directory
« on: January 28, 2014, 07:10:16 AM »
Is it possible to hide an internal number and its name in the directory?
Currently left the decription to blank and populated the username in the phones section.
However I dont want the name or number to be visible in the directory if users scroll through all internal numbers.
thanks in advance

Offline DND ON

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Hiding an internal number in the Directory
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2014, 01:27:24 PM »
Try putting a tilde (~) in front of the name.

Offline mrmo

• Contributer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2014, 10:41:53 AM »
Try putting a tilde (~) in front of the name.

Hi DND ON
The tilde didnt seem to work on the description
however its the internal extension number we wish to hide

Offline super6

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2014, 11:23:05 AM »
This is straight from the manual...

Hiding User Names in Voice Mail Directories
You can hide programmed descriptions in the Voice Mail Directory. For example, a user may
have a primary extension at the office programmed as “Bond, James.” However, the same user
may have a secondary extension—for example, at home—that is not published from the Voice
Mail Directory.
Because the IC directory is intended for internal use, both primary and secondary extension
entries appear in the IC directory. There may be any number of primary (no tilde in description)
and secondary extensions (first character of description is a tilde). To differentiate between
these two, an asterisk appears immediately before the secondary extension entry—for example,
“*James Bond”.
To hide an entry in the Voice Mail directory:
Enter a tilde (~) in the Description field immediately before the last name—for example,
“~BOND, JAMES”. The tilde character (~) makes the entry inaccessible in the Voice Mail
directory. Note that if someone knew the number of the secondary extension, they could
dial that extension directly. Someone entering “BOND” (2 6 6 3) at the Voice Mail
prompt, however, would find only the primary extension.

Offline acejavelin

• Global Moderator
  • High-tech, heavy metal redneck!
    • View Profile
    • Like what I do and wanna help out? Send me a donation!
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2014, 12:01:58 PM »
Except what the OP is looking for is NOT a way to hide the extension from the Dial-by-Name directory, what they want is to hide it from the Directory key on the phone (Feature 307), which I do not think is possible.

You can leave the name blank, but will still show in the directory as <ext#> I believe.

Offline mrmo

• Contributer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2014, 12:30:16 PM »
Except what the OP is looking for is NOT a way to hide the extension from the Dial-by-Name directory, what they want is to hide it from the Directory key on the phone (Feature 307), which I do not think is possible.

You can leave the name blank, but will still show in the directory as <ext#> I believe.
Hi acejavelin you are correct.
If i leave the name blank the internal number still appears in the IC directory using feature code 307 with a blank name.
Is it possible to hide the internal number as well?

Offline acejavelin

• Global Moderator
  • High-tech, heavy metal redneck!
    • View Profile
    • Like what I do and wanna help out? Send me a donation!
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2014, 12:33:37 PM »

Hi acejavelin you are correct.
If i leave the name blank the internal number still appears in the IC directory using feature code 307 with a blank name.
Is it possible to hide the internal number as well?
As I said, this is not possible.... It will always show up in the Directory feature. You could name it something obscure that people won't know or call though, like Phantom, Server Room, or something obscure. If you really want to mess with people name it "911" or something that looks like a taboo number to call.

Do you really use the Directory feature? If not, and you don't have any phones with a Directory softkey, just disable it by changing the access code to something out of the normal range, like 98765 or something, then 307 won't work.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2014, 12:35:50 PM by acejavelin »

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10