Author Topic: Mitel 3300 and Muting a ringing phone  (Read 7248 times)

Offline gssieg

• Contributer
    • View Profile
Mitel 3300 and Muting a ringing phone
« on: December 30, 2013, 09:07:42 PM »
Hello,

To some this may sound strange (at least it did to our Mitel vendor) but where I use to work we had Cisco phones and one of the cool things about the Cisco phones was that if you had an incoming call and you didn't want to answer it however you didn't want the caller to know you were sending them to voicemail you could press the "mute" button on the phone and it would mute the ringer.  With the Mitel all you can do is turn down the volume and then when the call goes to VM you can't turn the ringer back up because the phone needs to be ringing to do this.

Anyone know of any way around this?

Thanks,

Greg

Offline x-man

• View Profile
Re: Mitel 3300 and Muting a ringing phone
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2013, 05:10:24 AM »
Use 'Call Forward Forced'. If you have VM set up and a forward to VM of some kind set up (doesn't have to be active) just use it if you have one of these phones 5020 IP Phone, 5220 IP Phone, 5220 IP Phone (Dual Mode); 5224 IP Phone, 5235 IP Phone, 5324 IP Phone, 5330/5330e IP Phone, 5340/5340e IP Phone, 5230 IP Phone.

There are some caveats as well so peruse the help files under Call Forward-forced.

Offline jrg0852

• Look out for the next tech. because it may be you!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2013, 10:55:14 AM »
Sorry. Just chiming in. What would pressing a DND key do while an incoming call is present?

Offline ralph

• Mitel Forums Admin
  • Published Author: http://amzn.to/2dcYSY5
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2013, 01:01:39 PM »
DND would treat the phone as if it were busy and reroute the call.

It's pretty rare I see someone asking for a feature on a Mitel that was on a Cisco.   Cisco is one of the least "feature rich" systems I can think of.
But to answer your question:
You really can't "mute" a ringing Mitel phone.  You can Push the call off as X-Man suggested but the caller would hear the different amount of rings.
If you really want to hide, I suppose you could "Push" the call to a non-prime, no ring line somewhere and have that line call forwarded to VM on RNA.  That way the caller wouldn't notice the difference in the number of rings.

Ralph

Offline matthew

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2014, 07:17:46 PM »
The Alcatel OXO can do this as well by pressing the cancel key. It's a neat feature that I miss in the current brands I work on. It's not always just for "hiding", but if a phone is in a ring group and they are busy, they can shut the phone up and leave it for someone else to answer.

Offline ralph

• Mitel Forums Admin
  • Published Author: http://amzn.to/2dcYSY5
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2014, 08:34:08 AM »
You know, if that's a feature you want to see you can open a DCR with Mitel.
If enough request the feature it's possible to have it added.
It looks like it would be a simple softkey such as a "Mute Ring".

Ralph

Offline LoopyLou

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2014, 08:36:06 AM »
It is the age old thing. One system has a feature the others don't. Not unexpected but since the other systems don't have the feature it might be because there is little or no demand for it otherwise it would be something every manufacture would have.

Hitting the "forward" key is the answer ( although there is always answering the call ).

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10