Author Topic: vmail to email  (Read 6465 times)

Offline markdevoll

• View Profile
vmail to email
« on: December 30, 2013, 09:00:23 PM »
i have a customer that i got the vmail to email working but when i change from wav to mp3 it doesnt work. any  ideas why not

Offline akuhn

• View Profile
Re: vmail to email
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2013, 08:10:37 AM »
Assuming that you are using Exchange and Outlook as the corporate messaging system, I would check for Outlook Group Policies and Exchante Server policies that restrict MP3s from being attached.  In other words, it may not have anything to do with the phone system, but merely an email policy affecting attachments. 

You say "it doesn't work."  You may want to provide more detail.  You don't get any email?  Or you get an email without the attachment?  Details like that are important. 

Good luck.

Adam in DC

Offline Tech Electronics

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2014, 09:08:07 PM »
Markdevoll,

I believe that what you are experiencing is that the voicemail system starts having problems and the UM seems to stop working. The issue is that you most likely have too many mailboxes trying to convert their email attachments to MP3.

According to Tech Support the MP3 attachment is meant only for those mailboxes that need to support smartphones as it takes more processing power to constantly convert from G.729 to Wav to MP3; which is what it is doing every time. Resetting the system fixes the problem for a little bit, but it will always come back once enough emails need to be converted at one time.

If you need to convert that many you will most likely need to upgrade to the PS-1 which moves the Voicemail services over to the PS-1 and provides more processing power. Although in the end that is an expensive solution that in my opinion will only allow so much in conversions as well before it locks up.

My suggestion is to switch all the users back to Wav and only change those users that need MP3 for their smartphones.

Thanks,

TE

Offline acejavelin

• Global Moderator
  • High-tech, heavy metal redneck!
    • View Profile
    • Like what I do and wanna help out? Send me a donation!
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2014, 08:30:56 AM »
We had similar problems as many Android phones would not play WAV files natively, find an app called Remote Wave Free or WavPlayer ($0.99) in the Play Store and install it to play WAV files. I have heard some media players like Apollo are capable of playing them as well.

Apple and Windows phones should have no issues with playing WAV, Quicktime and WMP have the support natively built in.

If you still have some users on BlackBerry with issues try AudioPOP, it is $20 but includes a free trial, so try it first because some models don't like it, and most newer models do include WAV support natively in BB.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2014, 08:34:14 AM by acejavelin »

Offline akuhn

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2014, 08:32:53 AM »
If this issue is strictly about mobile phones not playing a certain audio file type, then yes, WavPlayer is an excellent Android App.   

Offline markdevoll

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2014, 10:32:17 AM »
i checked with several email address's and both did the same thing. i didnt get an email. i hope that the system isnt overloaded by to many vmail boxes there are only 5 and 7 sets. when set to mp3 i didnt get anything when i set to wav i get the email and the file.

Offline akuhn

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2014, 10:56:20 AM »
Again, this sounds like an email policy issue.  Here's a test.  Get a small wav file.  Attach it to an email message and attempt to send it.  Try from an outside system into a corporate account as well.

What you want to do is see if there's a policy restriction against wav files.  Do you have an email admin person?  Or are you that person?

Good luck. 

Offline markdevoll

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2014, 11:06:01 AM »
i know that isnt the case because on one of the email address's i used i am the admin and it still didnt work.

Offline Tech Electronics

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2014, 02:06:50 PM »
Markdevoll,

I am curious, have you checked the logs to see if it is even trying to send out the email and if so do you see any errors? If you do see errors that don't make any sense then post them so we can help figure out what it is doing.

Also, why do you need it to be an MP3 file instead of a WAV file?

Thanks,

TE

Offline markdevoll

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2014, 03:01:20 PM »
mp3 is smaller

Offline Tech Electronics

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2014, 03:19:33 PM »
Markdevoll,

I would set all the mailboxes back to WAV files if that is the only reason to make them MP3. The other thing I would try after that is to change only one user to MP3, leave a 5 second message, and see if it works and check the logs to see how it handles it.

What I do know is that Mitel Tech Support had this as a known issue in the 5.0 and 5.1 software version that if too many mailboxes were set to MP3 there will be issues.

Thanks,

TE

Offline markdevoll

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2014, 08:51:23 PM »
i changed them back... i was wondering why it wouldnt work with mp3....

Offline Tech Electronics

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2014, 05:56:08 PM »
markdevoll,

If I remember correctly the issue was with processing the conversion of the file. Normally the file is stored as G.729 or G.726 and then it is converted to a WAV file if it needs to be emailed out. If you want it to be an MP3 then the conversion process takes even longer and if there  is more then one they go into a queue to be processed. When there are enough in queue the voicemail no longer respond to normal requests and the process gets locked up.

In your case, since I did not see any logs, I would assume that you have the lowest processing power (a base system and possibly a CS controller) and it isn't handling the processing correctly. In the end if WAV files work fine with no obvious signs of lag in performance then I would leave them that way. If you are really wanting to find out what the exact problem is then you will need to work with Mitel Tech Support as it will take someone looking at the logs to figure it out.

Thanks,

TE

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10