Author Topic: 5330 reboot's evry 12 hours almost exactly.  (Read 3372 times)

Offline Homer

• View Profile
5330 reboot's evry 12 hours almost exactly.
« on: December 02, 2013, 01:30:27 PM »
Hi,

My mitel 5330 phone reboots every 12 hours almost on the spot. 12 hours being since the phone was powered on. It looks to be doing a firmware check or something and then during or at the end of that check it reboots. I see ICMP TTL expired's right before the reboots too.

What ive done..

1. made a sniff to describe the above
2. plugged the phone into another isp (friends house)
   2a. it didn't reboot. so I know its my isp or my network
3. replaced the phone with another, same thing (further confirming my isp or home network)

Capture:
https://www.cloudshark.org/captures/e7e68fbbf20b

Could it be my ISP? My Netgear router? I'll go see if disabling echo blocking stuff is ok, but I can ping anything I want from any machine on my network and get responses just fine. Doesn't that show icmp outbound works?

-Homer

Offline NTEDave

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: 5330 reboot's evry 12 hours almost exactly.
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2013, 05:33:16 PM »
DHCP lease timer expiring?

Offline Homer

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2013, 10:41:03 AM »
To test this, I've configured the phone to use a static IP and I will follow up tomorrow.

Meanwhile, I wonder, wouldn't the phone request a DHCP renewal every now and then and thus would not lose it's expiration? MY router doesn't have a DCHP lease time option so I don't know if it's hard coded to 12 hours or not. We'll find out soon but the phone should be renewing its lease, no?

Offline Homer

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2013, 09:26:48 AM »
This fixed the issue. Thanks for the tip. I configured the phone itself for a static ip versus a reserved dhcp ip.

I'm still confused about the problem being DHCP though. Shouldn't the phone be requesting DHCP renewals long long before 12 hours? I wonder what what interval it does this. I see just one request in my sniff but I believe I limited my sniff to the phone and the mitel server, so I may not be seeing all of the communication for dhcp responses and all that in this particular sniff.

Offline acejavelin

• Global Moderator
  • High-tech, heavy metal redneck!
    • View Profile
    • Like what I do and wanna help out? Send me a donation!
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2013, 10:43:15 AM »
This fixed the issue. Thanks for the tip. I configured the phone itself for a static ip versus a reserved dhcp ip.

I'm still confused about the problem being DHCP though. Shouldn't the phone be requesting DHCP renewals long long before 12 hours? I wonder what what interval it does this. I see just one request in my sniff but I believe I limited my sniff to the phone and the mitel server, so I may not be seeing all of the communication for dhcp responses and all that in this particular sniff.
This is one of the issues with some Netgear routers... we have seen it before. For a cheap SOHO router that easily supports VoIP, look at the Cisco/Linksys WRT-54GL (note the L version, Linux based), it can be easily modified with WRT or Tomato firmware and will support dozens of IP phones with no issues. Newegg sells it for about $50

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833124190

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10