Author Topic: Setup for Site to Site VPN  (Read 7289 times)

Offline super6

• View Profile
Setup for Site to Site VPN
« on: November 22, 2013, 01:03:54 PM »
Hi All,

Just curious what it will take to setup a couple users to work remotely.  Both have a sonicwall at home and we have one in the office.  they are setup on a site to site VPN and I need to get their phones setup to wok with their extensions.  Is there a good "How to" doc out there anywhere?  Any help is appreciated.  thanks

Perry

Offline Hovus

• View Profile
Re: Setup for Site to Site VPN
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2013, 01:32:37 PM »
If the networks are already communicating with each other, then all you would have to do is statically assign your phone's ICP and TFTP address. Easy way to do that is by rebooting the 53xx IP phone, holding 7, configure Teleworker, enter the LAN IP of the phone system, and you're good to go. It'll ask you for the PIN at that point and by default PIN will be *** + extension.

Offline super6

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2013, 02:48:47 PM »
Thanks Hovus!!  I will give that a try and see if that works. 

Offline super6

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2013, 05:49:40 PM »
Hey Guys,

Have a couple questions about the static setup.  This user is on a site to site and therefor on a different vlan.  Our voip vlan is 90 and her vlan is 90.  I'm curios when setting up the phone what gateway she should use.  Should it be the gateway of her router or the vlan 90 gateway?  Also the TFTP server address should be the address of the phone system but when it ask for a TFTP port what should it use?  The way I currently have it setup is with the vlan 90 gateway and no TFTP port.  All other static settings are correct.  Once she rebooted the phone she has on her screen DHCP option 129 missing. any help is appreciated.

Offline acejavelin

• Global Moderator
  • High-tech, heavy metal redneck!
    • View Profile
    • Like what I do and wanna help out? Send me a donation!
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2013, 07:01:42 PM »
Hey Guys,

Have a couple questions about the static setup.  This user is on a site to site and therefor on a different vlan.  Our voip vlan is 90 and her vlan is 90.  I'm curios when setting up the phone what gateway she should use.  Should it be the gateway of her router or the vlan 90 gateway?  Also the TFTP server address should be the address of the phone system but when it ask for a TFTP port what should it use?  The way I currently have it setup is with the vlan 90 gateway and no TFTP port.  All other static settings are correct.  Once she rebooted the phone she has on her screen DHCP option 129 missing. any help is appreciated.
There are a couple things going on here, I am not sure you understand the VLAN thing, according to what you said she is on the VoIP VLAN (90)... In the remote location there shouldn't be a VLAN at all and any VLAN tagging will likely not transpose the VPN tunnel.

First you need to verify the routing on the network the Mitel is at is configured proper... make sure from the remote location you can ping the local IP address of the 5000, if not, the remote end needs additional configuration to allow the the two VLANs to communicate with each other. Then, on the remote end, the phone should be completely default, enable DHCP on the LAN at the remote end and connect the phone, then press and hold the 7 button well the phone is booting, it will ask you to configure Teleworker mode, do so and input the internal IP address of the 5000, save and reboot... the phone should boot up and get an IP address via DHCP (and NOT want Options 43, 125, or 128+) and connect and you should be good to go. That's it. In this setup the phone isn't actually "remote" to the Mitel 5000 since it does not transpose a NAT connection.

Putting the phone in Teleworker mode tells the phone to not look for the DHCP auto-configuration options and to connect just to a specific IP address. Also, in this specific configuration, do not tell the system to NAT the phone, it should be set to Native.

Offline super6

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2013, 12:35:17 PM »
I have one other question concerning this setup.  currently this user has a digital set in the office with an extension number and DID. I can just change it from a digital phone to an IP phone correct?  I need to test this before I kill her existing extension and looking for a suggestion.  Any are welcome.  thanks a lot guys for the info!!!  Much appreciated!

Offline acejavelin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2013, 01:36:40 PM »
I have one other question concerning this setup.  currently this user has a digital set in the office with an extension number and DID. I can just change it from a digital phone to an IP phone correct?  I need to test this before I kill her existing extension and looking for a suggestion.  Any are welcome.  thanks a lot guys for the info!!!  Much appreciated!
No, you can't just change it from digital to IP, you have to delete the digital set and add the IP phone... Remember when you delete the digital set you will will remove it from everything in the database (except the voice mailbox) and have to re-add it manually. It is often easier to build the new phone with a dummy extension number, go through the programming and add the dummy to everything (ext lists, hunt groups, ACD, etc) the original extension exists in, delete the original digital phone, then change the extension number of the dummy phone to the actual extension (it will prompt you to associate with the mailbox), then update the any call routing table entries manually.

Offline super6

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2013, 03:33:06 PM »
Thanks.  Sounds great.  I will find out in a bit if this all works.  thanks for the info!!  Really appreciate the help!

Offline super6

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2013, 06:02:07 PM »
Ace,
thanks again for all the help!  It's working fine with the exception of her voicemail getting transferred.  I will work on that one but all else is working fine.  Thanks again for the quick relies I really appreciate it.   

Offline acejavelin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2013, 07:26:42 PM »
If it is giving you problems, it is usually best to just delete the mailbox and create a new associated mailbox for that extension.

Glad to help and that it all worked out.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10