Author Topic: How to Delete a Cluster Element - Mitel 3300  (Read 13436 times)

Offline acejavelin

• Global Moderator
  • High-tech, heavy metal redneck!
    • View Profile
    • Like what I do and wanna help out? Send me a donation!
How to Delete a Cluster Element - Mitel 3300
« on: November 19, 2013, 04:50:52 PM »
A while back we removed a controller out of an 11 site cluster, today I finally got around to removing it from the system programming and Enterprise manager... Well, all the sites came clean and my alarms went away except for one controller still shows an ICP Comms error, but when I do a STATE XNET ALL it shows the alarm is for the cluster element that no longer exists, yet it cleared out of all the other 9 sites fine. All are running the same software, MCD 4.2 SP2 PR1.

Signalling   |  Link  | Dest |   XNET   | State        |  Owner  | ID  |Status
Dvc Location  | Handle |Switch| Trunk Id |              |         |     |       
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 1 1 11 251   | 188    |    1 |          |Established   |         |     |       
 1 1 11   7   | 166    |    3 |          |Established   |         |     |       
 1 1 11   2   | 246    |    4 |          |Established   |         |     |       
 1 1 11   1   | 191    |    5 |          |Established   |         |     |       
 1 1 11   3   | 247    |    6 |          |Established   |         |     |       
 1 1 11   8   |  88    |    7 |          |Established   |         |     |       
 1 1 11   5   | 248    |    8 |          |Established   |         |     |       
 1 1 11   6   | 249    |    9 |          |Established   |         |     |       
 1 1 11       |        |   10 |          |Out of Service|         |     |       <--- Element deleted, still shows in XNET state
 1 1 11   4   | 215    |   11 |          |Established   |         |     |       

Do you think it just needs a reboot? This is a police station, so a reboot has to be scheduled in advance.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2013, 08:54:06 AM by ralph »

Online ralph

• Mitel Forums Admin
  • Published Author: http://amzn.to/2dcYSY5
    • View Profile
Re: Deleted cluster element and one site still in alarm
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2013, 05:46:05 PM »
MOL has a doc on how to remove a system from a cluster.   Not a simple process.
Did you happen to see that doc?

Ralph

Offline acejavelin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2013, 05:58:49 PM »
MOL has a doc on how to remove a system from a cluster.   Not a simple process.
Did you happen to see that doc?

Ralph
No, dang it, this is two times in a week there is a "special procedure" that has bit me in the but afterwards...

It seemed pretty straight forward to me, just reverse the add process

Remove ARS Route
Remove XNET Trunk Group
Remove XNET/ICP Assignment
Remove ICP Assignment
Remove Cluster Element
Remove Network Element

Hope that is correct, because I did it in 10 controllers and all are happy except for one of them... I did notice that I forgot the XNET stuff on this controller, so I removed it and now it looks better, but it's still in minor alarm now, saying ICP Comms alarm with 9 nodes and 11% unavailable, but here is the state:

Signalling   |  Link  | Dest |   XNET   | State        |  Owner  | ID  |Status
Dvc Location  | Handle |Switch| Trunk Id |              |         |     |       
 1 1 11 251   | 188    |    1 |          |Established   |         |     |       
 1 1 11   7   | 166    |    3 |          |Established   |         |     |       
 1 1 11   2   | 246    |    4 |          |Established   |         |     |       
 1 1 11   1   | 191    |    5 |          |Established   |         |     |       
 1 1 11   3   | 247    |    6 |          |Established   |         |     |       
 1 1 11   8   |  88    |    7 |          |Established   |         |     |       
 1 1 11   5   | 248    |    8 |          |Established   |         |     |       
 1 1 11   6   | 249    |    9 |          |Established   |         |     |       
 1 1 11   4   | 215    |   11 |          |Established   |         |     |       

Could this be one of those alarms that just goes away after a period of time? I know some like T-1 errors do... kind of crossing my fingers that it will or a reboot will clear it up.

EDIT: @ralph, do you have this document or know the article number? I can't seem to find it in the knowledge base...
« Last Edit: November 19, 2013, 06:02:00 PM by acejavelin »

Offline ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2013, 08:52:32 PM »
I had issues with some group alarms a while ago

to resolve I had to turn off Admin Group Management, turn off the SNMP, give it a few minutes and then turn them back on.

Worth a try

Offline acejavelin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2013, 09:23:46 PM »
Cool, I will give it a shot...

Online ralph

• Mitel Forums Admin
  • Published Author: http://amzn.to/2dcYSY5
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2013, 08:53:34 AM »
Article ID #
11-5163-00014  Article Type
How-To Guide

Article Title
How to remove a Controller from an existing Cluster  Publish Date
Jan-10-2012

Description/Symptoms 
How to remove A network element from a cluster

Body/Solutions 
If you are going to remove a controller from a sds network you cannot just power down and remove controller.
You must leave controller running and delete all extensions and have them sync to all other controllers in network . Then delete the switch out of cluster and delete network element

Details can be found in the online 3300 help under: SDS - Removing a Data-Sharing Element 

Test Result 

From Help Files: (This is the real PITA)
SDS - Removing a Data-Sharing Element
You can remove an element from its data-sharing network at any time. However, if you remove an element from a network, you must disable the SDS feature on that element. When you disable the SDS feature, the element ceases to participate in data-sharing at any scope. If you want the element to resume data sharing in any scope (either in the same network or another network), you must enable the SDS feature on that element (see Enabling SDS) and start sharing again (see Sharing Data).

CAUTION: Before disabling SDS on a member element, ensure that the elements are sharing data at the network or cluster scope.

The procedure for removing an accessible element (i.e., one that you can log on to) from a network that uses RDN Synchronization is given below. For inaccessible elements, use the REMOVENE maintenance command.

In the following procedure, element A is the master for the operation and element B is the element that you are removing from the cluster.

Log on to a System Administration Tool session on element B. De-program all group features and devices that are hosted on element B.

delete any page group entries

delete any call rerouting first/second alternative references

delete the devices from the User and Device Configuration form. This step also deletes the telephone directory entries.  The RDN entries and hosted service entries for these devices are automatically removed from the cluster element databases via SDS.

delete the group features using the appropriate group forms. This step blanks the directory numbers of the telephone directory entries. For devices, SDS automatically removes the RDN/hosted service entries.

Log on to element A. Remove resiliency from any devices or groups that use element B as the secondary.

In the User and Device Configuration form, remove resiliency from devices.

In the associated group form, remove resiliency from groups.

Repeat step 2 on any other cluster elements that have resilient devices or groups that have element B assigned as the secondary controller.

Log on to element B and disable the SDS option in the System Options form.

Log on to element A, access the Cluster Elements form and delete element B as a cluster element.

Reinstall the system software on element B to remove the cluster programming data (PNI for the cluster, CEID indexes and CEID digits for the other elements, and so forth) from element B.

Offline acejavelin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Deleted cluster element and one site still in alarm
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2013, 11:12:36 AM »
Article ID #
11-5163-00014  Article Type
How-To Guide

Article Title
How to remove a Controller from an existing Cluster  Publish Date
Jan-10-2012

Description/Symptoms 
How to remove A network element from a cluster

Body/Solutions 
If you are going to remove a controller from a sds network you cannot just power down and remove controller.
You must leave controller running and delete all extensions and have them sync to all other controllers in network . Then delete the switch out of cluster and delete network element

Details can be found in the online 3300 help under: SDS - Removing a Data-Sharing Element 

Test Result 

From Help Files: (This is the real PITA)
SDS - Removing a Data-Sharing Element
You can remove an element from its data-sharing network at any time. However, if you remove an element from a network, you must disable the SDS feature on that element. When you disable the SDS feature, the element ceases to participate in data-sharing at any scope. If you want the element to resume data sharing in any scope (either in the same network or another network), you must enable the SDS feature on that element (see Enabling SDS) and start sharing again (see Sharing Data).

CAUTION: Before disabling SDS on a member element, ensure that the elements are sharing data at the network or cluster scope.

The procedure for removing an accessible element (i.e., one that you can log on to) from a network that uses RDN Synchronization is given below. For inaccessible elements, use the REMOVENE maintenance command.

In the following procedure, element A is the master for the operation and element B is the element that you are removing from the cluster.

Log on to a System Administration Tool session on element B. De-program all group features and devices that are hosted on element B.

delete any page group entries

delete any call rerouting first/second alternative references

delete the devices from the User and Device Configuration form. This step also deletes the telephone directory entries.  The RDN entries and hosted service entries for these devices are automatically removed from the cluster element databases via SDS.

delete the group features using the appropriate group forms. This step blanks the directory numbers of the telephone directory entries. For devices, SDS automatically removes the RDN/hosted service entries.

Log on to element A. Remove resiliency from any devices or groups that use element B as the secondary.

In the User and Device Configuration form, remove resiliency from devices.

In the associated group form, remove resiliency from groups.

Repeat step 2 on any other cluster elements that have resilient devices or groups that have element B assigned as the secondary controller.

Log on to element B and disable the SDS option in the System Options form.

Log on to element A, access the Cluster Elements form and delete element B as a cluster element.

Reinstall the system software on element B to remove the cluster programming data (PNI for the cluster, CEID indexes and CEID digits for the other elements, and so forth) from element B.

Hmm... Well the interesting part about this element is the very reason that it was removed, it had no stations, trunks or anything else in it. It really wasn't doing anything and I don't know why it was there, it was just tying up a network elements spot. When I get a chance I'll review those documents and see if there's anything else that I need to do.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Offline lundah

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Chief Grunt
    • View Profile
Re: How to Delete a Cluster Element - Mitel 3300
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2013, 04:19:46 PM »
Assuming you've verified that all references to the removed node have in fact been removed from programming, try rebooting the controller still putting up the alarm, that should take care of it.

Offline acejavelin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Re: How to Delete a Cluster Element - Mitel 3300
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2013, 04:36:59 PM »
Assuming you've verified that all references to the removed node have in fact been removed from programming, try rebooting the controller still putting up the alarm, that should take care of it.
All reference to the removed node are gone from all controllers, I am assuming a reboot will clear this up, will schedule one with the customer soon, its tough at this site though since its a police station, even though the phones are all resilient they get paranoid, a 4am Thursday morning reboot probably wouldn't even be noticed, but I'd rather be safe than sorry with this customer.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Offline VinceWhirlwind

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2016, 06:45:30 PM »
In reference to this bit:
"delete the devices from the User and Device Configuration form. "
How do you do this?
I have over 2,000 devices on the controller, what method do you use to remove them all?

Offline martyn

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2016, 07:14:20 AM »
In reference to this bit:
"delete the devices from the User and Device Configuration form. "
How do you do this?
I have over 2,000 devices on the controller, what method do you use to remove them all?
This thread is quite old now, so I would suggest getting the latest version of the guide from MoL as it is now a much much much easier process to remove an element from a cluster.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10