Author Topic: Paging Issues  (Read 6325 times)

Offline jjordon

• View Profile
Paging Issues
« on: October 18, 2013, 03:06:22 PM »
We just installed a Mitel 5000 at a customer's site. I have taken care of most of the tweaks except for a few small (but significant) ones.

First of all, they say that the paging is not loud enough. They are using a Valcom Self-amplified system and the pages are coming off the page port. I am considering a small amp (such as a viking pa2a) to act as a preamp, but of course, if there are not enough speakers, then there is not much else I can do. But if I were to move the paging from the page port to a free trunk port, can you boost the db output?

I know the above is more a paging question than a Mitel 5000 question, but it brings me to my second one which is the fact that they are used to an alerting beep when a page comes through. Is there some setting to turn on an alert or do I have to use a device to produce it?

Lastly, when they are on the phone, they do not want paging to come over the phone speaker. The only thing I can see for that one is to turn off  the Page Mode flag in 5000CP>System>Devices and Feature codes>Phones. But wouldn't this disable all pages over phone speakers instead of paging only when idle?

Any help would be appreciated.

Offline dwayneg

• View Profile
Re: Paging Issues
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2013, 05:27:50 PM »
Paging is automatically disabled on any phone that is in use, nothing you need to do to make that happen.

I've never seen the page port volume to be too low ever.  Is it loud enough when you're at the speaker?  Perhaps not enough or right type of speakers.  A page adapter on LS trunk port would certainly give you some volume adjustment.  Also, fo about the same price you could buy an extra phone, open it up, and tap speaker leads...easy to control volume, plus added bonus is that you can use it for ring-over-page.

Offline DND ON

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2013, 11:09:35 PM »
Those speakers are not designed to be connected directly to the page port. They should be fed by a page adaptor or another amplified source, possibly to a phone as Dwayne suggested.

Offline jjordon

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2013, 11:48:16 AM »
First of all, thanks for the responses...

I actually did not initally program this system and when I looked at the forwarding paths, well what do you know...busy was set to "no" (that will do it every time).

I am considering taking paging off the page port and putting it instead on a trunk port with a PA2A (that will also deliver a tone). Taking a phone apart is not really an option as they are full in terms of their digital ports as well as SLT ports.

Most times, when I do paging, I have something like a bogen amp going to speakers....put on the page port and you're ready to go. 

What's your thoughts on a PA2A?

Offline DND ON

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2013, 12:37:35 PM »
A Viking PA2A should work just fine.

Offline jjordon

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2013, 04:36:15 PM »
Thanks again!