Author Topic: Extend Paging System  (Read 4877 times)

Offline elfordty

• Contributer
    • View Profile
Extend Paging System
« on: August 29, 2013, 02:30:56 AM »
Hi, does anybody know if we can connect the Mitel 5312 IP phones to an amplifier so we can use external speakers as a paging and PA system?
Thanks.

Offline x-man

• View Profile
Re: Extend Paging System
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2013, 08:15:50 AM »
Yes, via the system and the paging port (and IP as well). Its just a wire between the system box and the amplifier and a bit of programming in its simplest form. Does require a reboot though if its not been set up before. Then use a page key or the dial-able codes to use it. You can also allow/disallow phones on a per phone basis using COS. Its all in thge help file on the system.

Offline acejavelin

• Global Moderator
  • High-tech, heavy metal redneck!
    • View Profile
    • Like what I do and wanna help out? Send me a donation!
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2013, 12:43:00 PM »
Hi, does anybody know if we can connect the Mitel 5312 IP phones to an amplifier so we can use external speakers as a paging and PA system?
Thanks.
Yes, but it will void any warranty...

[CRINGE] You can open the phone, and cut off the speaker leads and splice a wire onto the output of the board of the phone, run it out of the phone and to an amplifier or self-amplified speaker [/CRINGE]  :D

Of course, the RIGHT way is the way x-man said, off the system paging port or via an Mitel IP Page Adapter.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2013, 12:44:32 PM by acejavelin »

Offline august

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2013, 06:50:12 PM »
Thanks.

I have done this many time.  It works perfectly and the cost is only the ip phone.  You can also adjust the volume with the phone.....

Offline elfordty

• Contributer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2013, 09:05:27 PM »
Yes, via the system and the paging port (and IP as well). Its just a wire between the system box and the amplifier and a bit of programming in its simplest form. Does require a reboot though if its not been set up before. Then use a page key or the dial-able codes to use it. You can also allow/disallow phones on a per phone basis using COS. Its all in thge help file on the system.

How does the system know which PA is for which phone? From my understanding, you are saying to connect the main controller to a single amplifier, which is then connected to all of the PA speakers.

This is for a school, and we have a discrete amp in every classroom that powers the in-ceiling speakers. Each classroom also has a Mitel 5312 IP phone. I was reading and it sounded like there was the ability to connect the phone (without any wire splicing or dodgy means) to a discrete amp and program it so that any paging came through the amp - speakers.

Thanks.

I have done this many time.  It works perfectly and the cost is only the ip phone.  You can also adjust the volume with the phone.....

That sounds exactly like what I am after. Could you possibly elaborate on how? Would be very much appreciated.

Offline x-man

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2013, 04:36:45 AM »
So, you want any internal paging (phone to phone) to go through the external amp in the classroom? Are you sure you really want to do that since the user will have no control over any paging they will recieve......especially if the pupils get to know the paging codes.

Where were you reading out of interest?

Offline elfordty

• Contributer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2013, 01:13:36 AM »
So, you want any internal paging (phone to phone) to go through the external amp in the classroom? Are you sure you really want to do that since the user will have no control over any paging they will recieve......especially if the pupils get to know the paging codes.

Where were you reading out of interest?

The users not having control isn't an issue for us.

I've just been researching all over the place and come across a few people stating that they have done what I am looking at trying to do. I couldn't state one location, it has just been here and there while I researched my options.

Offline Mattmayn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2013, 07:20:11 AM »
I think you could use the IP Paging unit, 5485 maybe, to do this as well. It is accessed using the page groups, so I would assume that you could just add it to your group.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10