Author Topic: Is the UCA client required for MiVoice for Lync  (Read 11490 times)

Offline gotrojans

• Contributer
    • View Profile
Is the UCA client required for MiVoice for Lync
« on: August 26, 2013, 03:01:03 PM »
Hello,

Is the UCA client required for MiVoice for Lync to function? I ask since the brochure on Mitel's website doesn't state that the UCA client is required to make MiVoice for Lync work.

Now, I am being told that the UCA solution is required to make MiVoice for Lync to work.

Your feedback would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Ron

Offline bluewhite4

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Is the UCA client required for MiVoice for Lync
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2013, 04:06:23 PM »
I don't know for 100% certainty, but it was my understanding that Lync integration was done via the UCA server. So while you don't have to roll out the client, you do need the server setup.

Offline gotrojans

• Contributer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2013, 04:45:49 PM »
Mmm.  I wonder if it is mirroring the Live Business Gateway where no client is required.  We have the LBG server and client licenses.  Hopefully, we can transfer our LBG server/client licenses to the UCA solution.

Thanks for the feedback.

Ron

Offline bluewhite4

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2013, 04:47:16 PM »
Mmm.  I wonder if it is mirroring the Live Business Gateway where no client is required.  We have the LBG server and client licenses.  Hopefully, we can transfer our LBG server/client licenses to the UCA solution.

Thanks for the feedback.

Ron

Actually it was my understanding (again I could be wrong) but with MAS 5 and UCA 6, you didn't need any licensing anymore to get Lync presence.

Offline gotrojans

• Contributer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2013, 05:19:35 PM »
Then, what is the purpose of MiVoice for Lync?

Offline bluewhite4

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2013, 05:30:52 PM »

Still not entirely sure, but I went back and re-read the Mitel bulletin. Looks like MiVoice for Lync is a free plugin for the Lync client.

Here's the description of the plugin:
"Plug-in provides the MiCollab Client client interface from within MiVoice Lync.
Adds telephony capability in MiVoice Lync for user to make and receive calls on their deskphone or softphone.
Lync user can select a Lync contact for making calls and invoke the MiCollab Client Call Window to further take control of the call.
All other call control features are then provided by this MiCollab Client Call Window"

So if I understand that correctly, presence can be done with just MiVoice Collab/MAS/UCA server, and then the plugin is needed to actually be able to dial from/with the Lync client. Additionally if you want to do softphone via Lync, you need the free plugin and then a UCA MiNet/SIP softphone license.

Offline martyn

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2013, 06:18:46 PM »
The MiVoice for lync uses the UCA server (running on MAS), and actually installs a cut down version of UCA as the "Plugin"

Actually it was my understanding (again I could be wrong) but with MAS 5 and UCA 6, you didn't need any licensing anymore to get Lync presence.
Kind of correct. You need a MAS base pack, and then the MiVoice licences. The MiVoice licences themselves are actually free at the moment, so you can convert over from LBG, or start from scratch without a huge licence fee.
The purpose of it is to get Mitel in to customers where Lync already is. If they can get Mitel handsets on the desks for call control, but still allow Lync to be used for IM, then they are better off than just having Lync for IM and Enterprise Voice. More a matter of why compete when we can join them.

Offline sarond

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2013, 08:11:02 PM »
Kind of correct. You need a MAS base pack, and then the MiVoice licences. The MiVoice licences themselves are actually free at the moment, so you can convert over from LBG, or start from scratch without a huge licence fee.
There is actually a free MAS Base pack just for UCA Basic so that users can get it for free, you just need to supply the hardware (Server)
Part#
54005963 - MAS Base for Free UCA Client
54006039 - Virtual MAS Base for Free UCA Client
They are a little difficult to find in SWB but they're there.

Offline martyn

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2013, 08:16:45 PM »
UCA basic is different from MiVoice though, so is MiVoice supported under the free MAS base?

Offline sarond

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2013, 09:05:59 PM »
I was led to believe so, I may have been led up the garden path though.  :-\
I will need to check to be sure.

Offline martyn

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2013, 09:21:34 PM »
I was led to believe so, I may have been led up the garden path though.  :-\
I will need to check to be sure.
My understanding that it wasn't, but I could have got the wrong impression too!

Offline LoopyLou

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2013, 07:56:24 AM »
Have seen some info but not installed any. MiVoice for Lync still needs UCA. It just installs a small tool bar at the base of the Lync client ( the plugin ) so you can access MCD features while still using Lync. When a call comes in you get the UCA popup with transfer, hold etc options. When you use your desk phone the Lync presence changes to busy. When you dial out of Lync or outlook contacts the plugin comes up.

Though some will debate why Mitel doesn't just take up the advantages of the UCA client it gives them an "in" to places where Lync has already been deployed.

Offline martyn

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2013, 02:18:19 AM »
Well turns out that my first impression of lack of documentation isn't entirely correct, as it turns out that there isn't really much to do, which is a hell of a lot different to LBG!
Virtually just assign the licence, generate the welcome e-mail, install the client, and you are away. There are some questions that I still have around how it should be best integrated on MAS, but it works, so that is the main thing.
The main gripe with the documentation is that there is not one mention of MiVoice in the MAS 5 engineering guide, etc, which is where it all should be!

Offline sarond

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2013, 08:49:43 PM »
UCA basic is different from MiVoice though, so is MiVoice supported under the free MAS base?
Yes, my bad.
UCA Free is only for UCA Basic Client. Not anything else.

Offline Splosh

• Contributer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2013, 11:36:44 AM »
Some info for you. i have it installed and its sort of working. just says invalid license, despite the license showing in AMC

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10