Author Topic: Manually Specify VLAN on handset  (Read 2429 times)

Offline philn

• View Profile
Manually Specify VLAN on handset
« on: June 17, 2013, 12:16:34 PM »
Hi

About to get a mitel 5000 system installed and something's come up that I hope somebody can help with.

We've got a dedicated VLAN set up for the phones, with a DHCP server. The sockets for them are trunked so that they're working on the default VLAN but devices that can declare which VLAN to use can also connect with them.

All the discussions about mitel handsets and vlans seem to require option strings on the dhcp server. We're using m0n0wall which doesn't seem to support that. So using dhcp to tell the phones which vlan to join isn't currently possible.

This could all be fixed by configuring each handset with a static VLAN. Is this possible? Other posts mention holding 9 or the up and down arrows on start up but I can't find documentation describing it.

Many thanks!

Offline bluewhite4

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Manually Specify VLAN on handset
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2013, 12:32:51 PM »
I don't know of any documentation to point you at, but holding the 9 key while the phone powers up is what your looking for.

The up and down arrows can be used once a phone is fully online to access the same config menu.

Offline sarond

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2013, 10:26:57 PM »
Depending on the switches installed you could use LLDP/CDP. This would configure the VLAN automatically for you at the switch level.
I know Cisco and HP switches will do it.

Offline JHFC

• Contributer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2013, 09:59:36 PM »
Yes this can be done. What model phones do you have? On the Mitel branded phones hold down both volume keys until the configuration screen displays. The Inter-Tel branded phones you hold down the 7&8 keys. In the configuration you can configure the vlan information.

Good luck.
Jim

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10