Author Topic: MCD 5 seems to be fragile...  (Read 6422 times)

Offline x-man

• View Profile
MCD 5 seems to be fragile...
« on: May 08, 2013, 06:39:23 AM »
Twice in the last week or so i have had systems that have rebooted or been rebooted and come back up with everything in place EXCEPT for the Trunk information. Hence both were working apart from being able to make calls. ALL the trunk settings had dissapeared on both systems (one basic rate one SIP only) and a restore from a bckup brought them back.

But my worry now is...how many more are going to do this (and yes I know about UPS's and yes they should have them but you try and convince my tight customers).

The first one went down on a power cut and the second one we had to pull the power on because we had got locked out of the esm and as far s I know you can't reboot via the console?

Is there any way to restore a backup from the console? would save a bit of messing about in the one with the lcoked out esm....

Anyone else suffered this?

Offline johnp

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: MCD 5 seems to be fragile...
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2013, 06:57:48 AM »
I think reboot is a valid console command

Offline acejavelin

• Global Moderator
  • High-tech, heavy metal redneck!
    • View Profile
    • Like what I do and wanna help out? Send me a donation!
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2013, 08:27:35 AM »
I have not seen this issue at all, and I have several systems, even clusters, running 5.0 software and I can guarantee you several of them have been rebooted without issue.

I don't know of anyway to restore a backup from the "console" of either type, either a physical console like a 5540/5550 IP Console or via the serial port/SSH connection console. You can however easily reset the password for ESM if you have access to the serial port, that information is sort of public knowledge now but we still keep it kinda quiet.

Offline ralph

• Mitel Forums Admin
  • Published Author: http://amzn.to/2dcYSY5
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2013, 08:48:38 AM »
This thread brings to mind something I've been thinking about for quite some time.
There has to be a way to back up a system via a FTP client. 

The reason I want this is there have been several times where the system looks like it backing up to my desktop but never completes.
When that happens I'd like to simply FTP in and pull the file.

Or the reverse, I'd like to do a PUT.   Can't think of just why right now but that's what I want to know how to do.  ;)

Has anyone seen a doc on how to do this?

Ralph

Offline x-man

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2013, 09:36:35 AM »
AceJ, yes, these systems have been through quite a few reboots in their time but this is the first time that this problem has reared its ugly head; two in a fortnight seemed a little too much like coincidence since they both had exactly the same issue....

Ralph, yes. Thats what brought this to mind, it would have been so much easier just to put a backup into the systemand let it continue (I watched a restore through a  serial connection over a vpn as it loaded right up to the first reboot so I guess it could be done (just can't remember which connection it was now...).

This BTW was the one with a corrupted login, we did a reboot after making sure it wasn't being used and it came back up without the line info.....fortunately a restore with the last backup sorted it.....

Offline sarond

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2013, 07:58:18 PM »
This thread brings to mind something I've been thinking about for quite some time.

The reason I want this is there have been several times where the system looks like it backing up to my desktop but never completes.

Or the reverse, I'd like to do a PUT.   Can't think of just why right now but that's what I want to know how to do.  ;)

Ralph

If you try to backup a system and it fails to transfer to your laptop then you can FTP it out, although I don't think you PUT a file and restore it.

To FTP the last backup archive from the system you need to copy /vmail/temp/db/archive/Ipera3K.dba from the controller and rename it to .tar

Offline marcolive

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2013, 09:44:53 PM »
I had an interesting conversation with tech support few days ago about that.

They told me the only way to backup/restore is with ESM. There is no VxWorks script or SX-2000 telnet command that could do this. Everything is done from the web server.

I'm wondering how Enterprise Manager/OPS can do remote backups... I guess it's with a web service to the MCD, but I'll try to get more info on that!

X-man... We have a lot of similar issues with SSD drives... not "old" traditional hard drives. Is the same from your side? We even had a weird case where maintenance logs were written over some other files on the hard drive (like DHCP db, ESM web pages, etc).

Offline sarond

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2013, 09:53:49 PM »
@marcolive

We recently had an issue with an SSD drive whereby when the controller rebooted the database was wiped. (Not sure f was every reboot)
We had to relocate a controller and the electrician had already disconnected everything before we got there and when we fired it back up the database was at its initial state. Restored from a backup and all was ok again. I think this happened twice.

Offline x-man

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2013, 06:37:59 AM »
Yup, both on SSD drives.

I wonder if mitel are aware 9well they will be aware but admitting it) or whether it was a batch issue?

Offline sunspark

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2018, 03:49:42 PM »

Ralph

If you try to backup a system and it fails to transfer to your laptop then you can FTP it out, although I don't think you PUT a file and restore it.

To FTP the last backup archive from the system you need to copy /vmail/temp/db/archive/Ipera3K.dba from the controller and rename it to .tar

Hi sarond ,

What is the date of the vmail/temp/db/archive/Ipera3K.dba

It is the backup of the day ? or the last good back up ?

Thanks

Offline acejavelin

• Global Moderator
  • High-tech, heavy metal redneck!
    • View Profile
    • Like what I do and wanna help out? Send me a donation!
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2018, 09:34:03 PM »

Ralph

Hi sarond ,

Thanks
Necro-bumping 5 years for a random question is kind of frowned upon, although not a huge offense... :)

The Ipera3k.dba is the backup file from the last backup... check the date of the file. The point is, if the backup completed but fails to transfer to your laptop or FTP server, the file is stored here and can be manually retrieved.

Offline sunspark

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2018, 02:47:26 AM »

Ralph

Hi sarond ,

Thanks
Necro-bumping 5 years for a random question is kind of frowned upon, although not a huge offense... :)

The Ipera3k.dba is the backup file from the last backup... check the date of the file. The point is, if the backup completed but fails to transfer to your laptop or FTP server, the file is stored here and can be manually retrieved.

I will have to open a new case?
Thank u for the answer

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10