Author Topic: Voicemail to Email With Hosted Rackspace  (Read 7721 times)

Offline Moneer81

• Contributer
    • View Profile
Voicemail to Email With Hosted Rackspace
« on: April 30, 2013, 03:27:56 PM »
Hello,

We are trying to set up voicemail to email functionality but having some trouble.

We currently have hosted Exchange 2007 with Rackspace. Does anyone know if you can connect directly to Rackspace from the Mitel VM system?

I contacted Rackspace and they gave me the settings for mail relay, but we don't have an SMTP server onsite now so I am wondering if that would work without an SMTP server onsite.

Thanks,

Offline johnp

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Voicemail to Email With Hosted Rackspace
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2013, 12:07:57 AM »
Likely not. Unless they offer SMTP on port 25 and it's not blocked by the ISP. You could easily setup a SME server to do the relay. Especially if you have MSL experience. www.contribs.org

Offline LoopyLou

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2013, 08:03:48 AM »
When you say connect to the hosted at rackspace do you mean you are trying to setup UM advanced rather then simple SMTP forwarding. I am not sure if Mitel supports to hosted email servers yet and if they do they may only support it in certain loads. What VM you using the embedded or a stand alone? What software load for the 3300 and if a seperate Nupoint what load for it.

I found a post in the Mitel user group forum with hosted Office 365 voicemail and the issue seems to be that the embedded voicemail sends the email as from:user@ipaddress. The customer was using a private IP address range so that when the Office 365 did a reverse DNS lookup it thought it was looking at spam and dropped the message. This is only a problem on the embedded as the Nupoint is able to format the from:user@domainname.com, which I beleive is a more standard method. Maybe you are seeing something similar?

Offline acraig00

• Contributer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2013, 09:08:46 AM »
i posted about the workaround i use to accomplish basic UM with hosted email here:

http://mitelforums.com/forum/index.php/topic,1189.msg11470.html#msg11470

might work for you.

Offline Moneer81

• Contributer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2013, 12:55:02 PM »
Thank you all for the replies!

I am just trying to use the embedded VM and my software load is 10.0.0.13_1.

I am aware of the issue where an email gets rejected because it is being sent in the form of user@ip_address. We had that same exact problem at another site, so I made sure I set up the correct DNS settings on this one.

acraig00 and johnp thanks for your suggestions - It seems that I will need something onsite (SMTP server of some sort) to handle sending the emails, correct? At our other site, we ended up going through an IMAIL server that was being used for another purpose.

I will look into setting up an SME server or an SMTP relay. I do have a couple of servers and boxes that I can use for that purpose.

Let me know if you have any resources/documentation that I can read...

Thanks a lot!

Offline acejavelin

• Global Moderator
  • High-tech, heavy metal redneck!
    • View Profile
    • Like what I do and wanna help out? Send me a donation!
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2013, 08:51:58 AM »
Your emails should NOT be coming as EXT@ipaddress, they should be EXT@domainname, it sounds like you missed a step in the configuration... Probably setting your own domain name in Networked Voicemail Systems form but I am not in front of a system right now. Also, your hosted provider should be able to setup a inbound connector that will allow any emails from a certain IP address and allow anonymous relay from that IP address, assuming they would be willing to do that.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2013, 05:20:57 PM by acejavelin »

Offline johnp

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2013, 10:35:34 PM »
Having an issue with the from name lately, The email will take the name from voice mail networked users and the domain from the vm networked systems. I ahve a some sites with corruption in the vm networked users where 2 appearances of the mailbox appear, one without the pni. Took the name from the pni correct one and the email address from the mailbox, wrong or right net vm user...not sure. The Mailbox had the correct user name as well as the non pni net vm user.

Ha, just reminded to check the one site that didn't allow vpn access. Sent the customer the list of cluster wide errors, most were in one site where there were many that contained the wrong pni. I'm not the orignal installer, I think someone had a wrong value before they corrected it.

Offline Moneer81

• Contributer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2013, 01:41:08 PM »

I followed johnp's advice and deployed an SME server.

John, not seeing where you can configure email relay? This is the only screen I see in Server Manager

Offline Moneer81

• Contributer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2013, 04:17:11 PM »
OK so I set up an SME server, and I am able to send test messages from that SME server to my company email.

How do I set it up so it is relaying emails from the Mitel Voicemail Server?

Offline johnp

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2013, 07:55:21 PM »
Set the sme as the smtp server in the phone system and if needed complete the

"SMTP server
The server can deliver outgoing messages directly to their destination (recommended in most cases) or can deliver them via your Internet provider's SMTP server (recommended if you have an unreliable Internet connection or are using a residential Internet service). If using your Internet provider's SMTP server, specify its hostname or IP address below. Otherwise leave this field blank"

section

Offline Moneer81

• Contributer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2013, 12:43:42 PM »
Thanks. I guess I did that, but no luck.

Is there a way in the mitel to see if the emails are going out? I am checking the SME server logs and I am not seeing any indication that anything is attempting to be sent, so I have a feeling the mitel is not even sending those voicemail messages, although I do get the voicemail on my phone. Been checking the Mitel logs but haven't found anything useful.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10