Author Topic: Mitel 5550 Console headset  (Read 4614 times)

Offline armstr_a

• View Profile
Mitel 5550 Console headset
« on: April 23, 2013, 05:55:01 AM »
Hi,

Does anyone know of a supported headset that will plug in to a Mitel 5550 reception console? Can be wired although wireless would be beneficial. Struggling to find a UK retailer that states 'it works with a 5550 console'

Thanks in advance

Offline ghost

• View Profile
Re: Mitel 5550 Console headset
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2013, 06:50:35 AM »
I used plantronics cs540 (they didnt want to spend the money on the savi 740), but I think you will find any with a selector switch will work.

The only issue I found with the plantronics cordless headsets is that when the headset is in the base it open circuits and the 5550 thinks there is no headset plugged in (which means you cant change to present without first lifting the headset). I found way around this was to plug a handset into the handset port of the headset base, this was not ideal so i jigged up a plug with resisters to plug into the handset port on the headset base so it always thinks there is something plugged in.

Online ralph

• Mitel Forums Admin
  • Published Author: http://amzn.to/2dcYSY5
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2013, 07:41:57 AM »
ghost,
How did you make up the 'fake handset'?

Ralph

Offline ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2013, 05:52:43 AM »
I took a cable with a 4p4c connector (I used old headset cables)
i ran a 150 ohm resistor between pins 2 and 3 (inner pair) for the speaker
I then ran a 1.5k resistor between pins 1 and 4 (outer pair) for the mic
Then finally used some electrical tape to insulate and hold together.

The resistor values I got from putting a multimeter across a few handsets and headsets. Values dont need to be exact I had a headset give 330 ohms and 6.5 ohms.
(i admit i did hope I could leave the mic open circuit but it needed the connection.)

Offline matthew

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2014, 01:33:30 AM »
I used plantronics cs540 (they didnt want to spend the money on the savi 740), but I think you will find any with a selector switch will work.

The only issue I found with the plantronics cordless headsets is that when the headset is in the base it open circuits and the 5550 thinks there is no headset plugged in (which means you cant change to present without first lifting the headset). I found way around this was to plug a handset into the handset port of the headset base, this was not ideal so i jigged up a plug with resisters to plug into the handset port on the headset base so it always thinks there is something plugged in.

I've just had this question come up, so thought I'd keep this thread going rather than start again.

Just curious - with the cordless headset, can the operator answer the call via the headset (ie from across the room), or do they still need to "operate the console"? We sell Plantronics kit, so getting hold of a cs540 is no sweat. The problem is, the customer is a couple of hours drive away, so it's hard to do a simple test.

Offline ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2014, 07:48:46 AM »
Sorry no remote answering
There is no electronic hook switch or any way to use a physical lifter.

Out of the box you could maybe use a tablet and remote into to console PC, not sure how well it would work.

Offline matthew

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2014, 11:57:19 PM »
Thanks. That was my understanding, too, but I wanted to be sure. The Mitel documentation is usually pretty good, but the 5550 user guide says to see the 5550 installation guide for info about headsets. Of course, the IG doesn't even mention them..

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10