Author Topic: Mitel 3300 Release 5 licence.  (Read 10081 times)

Offline ianbt001

• View Profile
Mitel 3300 Release 5 licence.
« on: April 10, 2013, 10:27:43 AM »
Hi Guys, probably as easy one but cant seem to find answer easily.

If I have a release 5 system and need to add licences to it but it does not have internet access how do I do it.

I know I can do it via software installer and a laptop with internet access via wifi but this involves a reboot, how do I do it with rebooting it.  I have AMC access.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2013, 07:32:23 PM by ralph »

Offline LoopyLou

• View Profile
Re: Release 5 licence.
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2013, 10:49:53 AM »
if you have a laptop with internet access then use that to give the MCD internet access. Have done it a couple of times on a laptop with a cellular card in it. You change the IP of the wired LAN card in the laptop to the gateway IP address programmed in the MCD. Setup internet connection sharing in the laptop and then use the wireless LAN card in the laptop and its internet access to give internet access to the MCD. Works as a kind of a "passthrough" connection for the MCD. Think it needs to be directly connected to the MCD because the layer 2 switch the MCD is plugged into will have the gateway address programmed in it. 

Offline matthew

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2013, 06:16:54 PM »
In AMC, you can "download" the license. It is basically just a number. I usually print it to pdf and take a printout on site with me. If you do this, it's final. You can't transfer the license to another controller at a later date. Then, on the controller, click change and adjust the number of licenses for the items you are adding. You can then enter the license number from above in the box. When you save it, you have your new licenses.

Offline august

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2013, 07:14:09 PM »
If you choose to do it as matthew said, the only way to transfer licences is to change the sysid or to upgrade to a new rls.

Offline ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2013, 02:09:01 AM »
I didnt think you could download from amc for manual licensing any more.

The other option is to use the "Mitel Communications Director Software Installer"
select "perform full install"
key in the details for an FTP where mcd install files are located (installer 12.0.0.17 has removed this requirement, and you just need to key in random values)
until "database backup"
untick "Install software version [XX.X.X.X]"
select help files - do not install
untick "database restore"
(quick and short untick everything except licnse and option configuration)

MCD 4 and 5 will require a reboot at the end, MCD 6 apperently no longer requires a reboot at the end of this process.

I use this method as the pc doing the update requires the internet access and not the controller (as our network security does not permit the controllers internet access)

Offline matthew

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2013, 07:33:20 PM »
I didnt think you could download from amc for manual licensing any more.

We use it regularly due to a government department not allowing Internet access from the controllers, and their sites are in remote areas.

Offline ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2013, 02:55:42 AM »
We use it regularly due to a government department not allowing Internet access from the controllers, and their sites are in remote areas.

Is this on MCD 5 or 6?
I can do it on MCD 4.2 and earlier.

If you have got MCD 5 or 6 what process are you using? because both my vendor and Mitel have both told me it has been disabled and I cant see the password option any more.

Offline sarond

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2013, 04:42:07 AM »
There is no password option but there is still an offline licensing method.
It uses an FTP server and the license file downloaded from the AMC.

It is briefly covered in the MCD 5.0 I&M update course.

Offline ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2013, 05:58:20 AM »
There is no password option but there is still an offline licensing method.
It uses an FTP server and the license file downloaded from the AMC.

It is briefly covered in the MCD 5.0 I&M update course.

I know using the Software Installer if you are not online it will save a file you can copy to another computer that has internet and update the licence then copy back and use with the software installer to complete, but matthew was talking about printouts and locking out licenses which sounds like the old method.

Last course I did was the 4.2 advanced so I admit to being a little behind, which I why I was asking the question.

Offline matthew

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2013, 06:16:48 PM »
The customer I do this for has this enabled in their Application Record:

Online synchronisation capability    YES
Offline synchronisation capability    YES
Offline license download capability    YES

I just click on Download License Keys, and it gives me a warning:

Downloading the license key will permanently attach these products to this application record. After clicking 'commit' you will not be able to remove these licenses from this record. If you are unsure about this action, please consult the online help (Online vs Offline Activation) or contact your support representative.

It then takes you to a page that I print to pdf which includes a license key. On the controller, go into the license area and click Change. Adjust the number of licenses to what you have now in AMC, and then type in the license key.

I've only been working with the Mitel for less than 12 months, and this was what I was shown by my predecessor. I didn't know it shouldn't work. :)

Offline sarond

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Mitel 3300 Release 5 licence.
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2013, 07:45:11 PM »
@Matthew

Yes that is the way it supposed to work. If the controller doesn't have internet access it can be done this way.
What ghost is referring to is that on the later release systems (> MCD4.2) this is no longer the case. You can't just download the license and enter them manually.
You can still license through the Software Installer if your PC has an internet connection as it will retrieve licensing from the AMC.

Offline matthew

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2013, 10:03:22 PM »
@Matthew

Yes that is the way it supposed to work. If the controller doesn't have internet access it can be done this way.
What ghost is referring to is that on the later release systems (> MCD4.2) this is no longer the case. You can't just download the license and enter them manually.
You can still license through the Software Installer if your PC has an internet connection as it will retrieve licensing from the AMC.

Ah. Thanks for the clarification. It most likely would have caught me out sometime in the future.  :)

Offline ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2013, 03:46:11 AM »
i think i see the light :) just a bit of miss communication.

It is the reason I did ask what software version you are running (because can can still use the old method on 4.2 and earlier)

if you do upgrade to 5.0 or later then you will just need to follow the steps in my earlier post (it isnt that hard, just make a backup first in case you select the wrong options)

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10