Author Topic: Mitel 5212 & Powerline  (Read 1950 times)

Offline rikosborne

• Contributer
    • View Profile
Mitel 5212 & Powerline
« on: April 05, 2013, 09:03:42 AM »
Hi,

We are moving offices to a listed building and there is no access to a network port in the office. Can we use a powerline set-up with our 5212s?

Many thanks

rikosborne

Offline acejavelin

• Global Moderator
  • High-tech, heavy metal redneck!
    • View Profile
    • Like what I do and wanna help out? Send me a donation!
Re: Mitel 5212 & Powerline
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2013, 10:41:28 AM »
Powerline is essentially a point to point DSL connection that uses the existing A/C power infrastructure as a way to transport Ethernet traffic... The phone itself if just another IP endpoint like any PC, printer, server, etc., so it should work provided there is enough bandwidth and other network parameters like latency and delay are acceptable.

That being said, in actual practice it will depend on the infrastructure in the building and the amount of traffic being carried, if this is for one or two phones and PCs it generally shouldn't be a problem. I had a customer try this when they took over an office area on the opposite end of building that they took over some office space and put 6 phones, 5 PCs, and printer in to a Cisco switch and then provided a feed to the switch via Powerline from the main switch... lets just say in day or two we were down there running cable.  ;)
« Last Edit: April 05, 2013, 10:43:40 AM by acejavelin »

Offline rikosborne

• Contributer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2013, 10:01:20 AM »
Thanks acejavelin, I'll give the powerline option a go and hope it means I don't have to arrange a meeting with the local building conservation officer to discuss other alternatives.

Offline acejavelin

• Global Moderator
  • High-tech, heavy metal redneck!
    • View Profile
    • Like what I do and wanna help out? Send me a donation!
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2013, 10:50:17 AM »
One option we have used in a few similar situations is a wireless bridge, essential two access points, we have used Engenius APs for this and had very good luck with the ECB300: http://www.engeniustech.com/business-networking/indoor-access-points-client-bridges/16363-ecb300 which is less than $100 each on Newegg.com

We have also used the ECB150 and their EAP series as well.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2013, 10:52:29 AM by acejavelin »

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10