Author Topic: Different ring tones for different lines from one phone?  (Read 11070 times)

Offline unclejemima

• View Profile
Different ring tones for different lines from one phone?
« on: March 25, 2013, 11:30:48 AM »
Is it possible to have different ring tones from different lines from the same phone?

I've seen this work with some Panasonic systems, but can't seem to figure how to do this with the mitel unit.

Situation: 3 analog lines, each represent a different company.  Trying to find a way so that each line can have its own distinctive ring tone from the same phone.

We are running 5320, 5330 and 5340 phones.

Would be nice to do this with hunt groups as well.

Looking forward to any light that can be shed on the issue.

Offline DND ON

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Different ring tones for different lines from one phone?
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2013, 04:19:46 PM »
Nope, one ring tone for everything.

Offline Crowtalks

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2013, 04:59:18 PM »
Try assigning a line to a phantom and have the phantom set as a secondary extension key on the phone. That should provide a different ring tone for that line...

Jim

Offline NTEDave

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2013, 06:31:32 PM »
Had this query from a doctors surgery who had an 'emergency' DDI which was priority to pick up, ended up adding an SLT mounted on a wall to give a different ring tone.

Offline unclejemima

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2013, 07:59:13 PM »
Try assigning a line to a phantom and have the phantom set as a secondary extension key on the phone. That should provide a different ring tone for that line...

Jim

Has anyone actually tried this?  Would be sweet if it worked...

Offline unclejemima

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2013, 08:01:14 PM »
Had this query from a doctors surgery who had an 'emergency' DDI which was priority to pick up, ended up adding an SLT mounted on a wall to give a different ring tone.

By SLT, you mean single line telephone I assume.  So, if I have 3 companies and I want 3 distinctive ring tones I need 3 separate phones???

I was worried it would come down to this.

Any way V6 update might have the ability to have the same phone make different tones for different lines/hunt groups/extensions?

Offline Crowtalks

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2013, 07:57:31 AM »
I stumbled across it by mistake on my last multi-node install when some wanted their DID/DDI lines to ring to a separate key (you can't do this to many, for it requires a separate key map per phone) and the secondary key appearance gives a sort of broken ring that is different from the ext or int ring.

Try it and see what you think...

Jim

Offline DND ON

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2013, 08:49:07 AM »

Jim

Has anyone actually tried this?  Would be sweet if it worked...

This does work; we do it frequently for emergency calls in doctors’ offices. However, it will only provide “distinctive” ringing for one line, not the three lines requested. Also, you must press the secondary call key in order to answer the incoming call. That doesn’t work very well when using cordless headsets, unless you’re actually sitting in front of your phone.

Offline Crowtalks

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2013, 09:38:34 AM »
Of course you are correct DND, it will only work on one line...but it would cover two of the three lines...(I misread the original post).

Hmm...a different way...how about removing the intercom keys and replacing them with 2 call keys per phone. Assign each line to ring to a different phone in the attendant group with call pickup for all phones in the group. When a call comes into business A's line, it rings phone A. If phone A is busy, it will still ring in on the second call key (read intercom key) and the other phones in the attendant group within earshot can grab the call, instantly knowing which business the callers is calling. The same with phones B & C.

Jim

Offline acejavelin

• Global Moderator
  • High-tech, heavy metal redneck!
    • View Profile
    • Like what I do and wanna help out? Send me a donation!
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2013, 11:03:09 AM »
An audible difference if hard to accomplish, but a VISUAL difference is easy... sent the calls to different call routing announcements named "COMPANY A", "COMPANY B", and "COMPANY C" then remove the greetings and have them timeout to the appropriate answer destinations, then when the phone rings the display will show "Xfer From COMPANY A" so that you know which line/DID is ringing in. Might be a simplier to retrain the people (hehehe, yeah, I know) then try to find a oddball solution.

Offline DND ON

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2013, 12:03:53 PM »
Even easier for visual… just put each line in its own trunk group and label accordingly. The display will say COMPANY A  RINGING IN, etc.

Of course, if you have line keys (and with only three lines, you probably do), you already have a visual indication.

Offline unclejemima

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2013, 08:08:40 PM »
Thanks guys.  Lots of good idea's, and I'll give them a try. 

Got the visual thing already figured, but appreciate the advice.

I wonder if Mitel will ever off this feature?  I could see it being very useful.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10