Author Topic: Mitel 5000 - Voicemail notifications  (Read 4832 times)

Offline mattybrownuk

• View Profile
Mitel 5000 - Voicemail notifications
« on: February 22, 2013, 05:58:01 PM »
We've got our incoming calls redirected to a phantom device with a mailbox on a night-time, using night service and a call routing table.

I'd like to either have the message button light up on our receptionist's phone or email voicemails as they are received to our receptionist.

I've tried changing the extension number under "Voice Processor > Devices > Mailboxes > (Mailbox number) > Message Notification Phone", but it doesn't seem to be possible to change the message notification phone.

The documentation says that it's not programmable for associated mailboxes.  Is a mailbox "associated" if it belongs to a phantom device?  And if this rules out the possibility of settings the message notification phone, how do I email voicemails to a user instead?

Thanks in advance.

Matty Brown

Offline acejavelin

• Global Moderator
  • High-tech, heavy metal redneck!
    • View Profile
    • Like what I do and wanna help out? Send me a donation!
Re: Mitel 5000 - Voicemail notifications
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2013, 11:31:23 PM »
How this would work is you have them messages to go to an UNASSOCIATED mailbox, you route them there by sending them to an empty Call Routing Announcement with no options or greetings but times out to the mailbox you want it to go to. Then you just set the Message Notification Extension to the receptionist or whatever extension you wish.

Offline mattybrownuk

• View Profile
Re: Mitel 5000 - Voicemail notifications
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2013, 04:57:44 PM »
Hi acejavelin,

Thanks for your reply.  I assume a mailbox for a "phantom device" is an "associated mailbox", which is why I'm unable to configure the message notification extension field?  If we can have a mailbox without a phantom device, I'm not sure why our phone supplier set it up this way.

I managed to figure out what I was doing wrong with e-mail notifications.  Firstly, I'd set the SMTP server to the server's IP address.  That's not allowed.  At this point, I also noticed that the phone supplier hadn't configured our DNS settings - they'd been left as defaults and even if our firewall hadn't blocked outgoing DNS requests, our e-mail server is internal so an external DNS server wouldn't have returned the internal IP address in its replies.  Then I set it to the hostname of our mail server... which contains an underscore... also not allowed.  So I finally figured I'd create an alias (CNAME) DNS record for our SMTP server which didn't contain an underscore.  Bingo.

Personally, I think e-mail notifications will be of more use to us anyway.

Looking at the "mail.mainlog" log file that's available from the Mitel 5000's embedded web server was a massive help, pointing me to each roadblock I came up against.  In the end, if I'd known about the rules surrounding the SMTP server name and the DNS server had been configured correctly, setting up e-mail with UVM would have been so easy.

Hope this thread helps someone else out there.

Matty Brown.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10