Author Topic: Auto Answer for External Calls  (Read 6915 times)

Offline cslee

• View Profile
Auto Answer for External Calls
« on: February 08, 2013, 08:27:03 PM »
I inherited a weird issue on our Mitel 3300 on 5.0 SP1 regarding Auto Answer.

Everything works correctly except when the incoming call is an external number, then the Auto Answer feature doesn't engage. Internal calls? no problem, auto answer picks it up right away.
Stranger yet, in working and testing with our telco company, we discovered that numbers on our Copper PRI did not have this issue. Auto Answer works whether it's an external or internal call. But on our Fiber PRI, external calls don't auto answer.

I'm fully aware that this may come down to an issue on telco's end, but I can't shake the feeling that there's something misconfigured (by my predecessors) somewhere in Mitel that is only affecting the DID's on the Fiber PRI. Any thoughts where I might be able to check?

Offline martyn

• View Profile
Re: Auto Answer for External Calls
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2013, 08:36:49 PM »
Hmm strange, but I would start by comparing if the trunk attributes and COS are different between the two trunks. My bet would be a difference in the COS for the trunk off the top of my head.

Offline ralph

• Mitel Forums Admin
  • Published Author: http://amzn.to/2dcYSY5
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2013, 09:07:18 AM »
Auto answer appears to be buggy in that load.
I'm not specifically aware of what you reported but I am aware of a bug where about half the time when a call comes in there is no alert tone to let you know you've been connected.   But that only applies to phones using DECT headsets.

The fix for the one I mention above is supposed to be in 6.0.  There may be other bugs involved so you may want to look at the release notes in 6.0 to see if yours is in the bug fix list.

Ralph

Offline LoopyLou

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2013, 06:35:16 PM »
No real reason for one to work and not the other unless it is programming in the 3300. Don't think it should matter about delivery via copper or fiber. The call rings the phone and the set autoanswers it. Would check the setting between the fiber and the copper PRI and compare for differences.

You use a different COS on the two different links? Try using the copper COS for the fiber link if the copper one seems to work.

Offline glenndmartin

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2013, 03:32:10 AM »
i am just setting up a call center and the customer has requested Auto Answer and i have got the same problem

internal fine just external calls

I have tried

SIP
E1 (as i am in the UK)
LS/GS trunk
IP trunk from another system non RDN
DPNSS from 3rd party PBX

All have the same only internal call from same system or within RDN cluster works

i am on MCD 5.0 SP1 customer as got 11 sites all over the place so could do without having to upgrade

Offline ralph

• Mitel Forums Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2013, 09:25:33 AM »
Now that the first patch release is out, we'll be upgrading the one customer we have with the issue this week.
We'll see how it goes.

Ralph

Offline cslee

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2013, 02:15:15 PM »
Thank you all for your help and advice.

I've dug around some more and wanted to clarify a bit and also add in additional 'wrinkles' to the problem.
1) Issue happens regardless of use of a headset or handset. I've also ruled out phone models, it always comes down to whether the DID extension is on our copper or fiber line.
2) We're actually running two 3300's in a cluster. Both with the same release and software load. On unit one: module 2, that has our fiber line (via a T1/E1 W/Dual Inband Loopback), both ports are plugged in. I checked the COS and auto answer is enabled. (Just for my own edification, to check a trunk line COS: I would go to Trunks>Digital>Digital Trunks>See what Trunk Service Number they use. Then go to Trunks>Trunk Attributes and look up what COS is assigned to the Trunk Service Number used.)
On unit two: module 1, that has our copper line (via a T1/E1 W/Dual Inband Loopback), only one is plugged in. I checked the COS and auto answer is enabled. Strangely enough, the trunk service number for the trunks is different than the fiber lines on unit one, but regardless the COS referenced is all the same. Also looks like we're not syncing that page between our units, not sure if that even matters.

I'm at a loss whether this confirms or busts my feeling that it's configuration issue vs. an issue at the provider end. I'm wondering if there is a way to trace a call within Mitel (I came from an Avaya shop at my previous job, so please excuse my n00b-ness) on each of the units while I make a test call with auto answer enabled just to see if there are any differences.

Offline LoopyLou

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2013, 08:04:24 AM »
So what you are saying is that if it comes in via one system it works and if it comes in via the other it doesn't?

Offline cslee

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2013, 03:42:21 PM »
Yes, but only for external originating calls.
If it's an internal call auto answer works perfectly fine on both units and across units. The problem only comes up when it's an external call. If it comes in on our T1 lines, no dice. On our Copper line, everything works.

Which is why I'm wondering if there is a way to trace a call through each of the units and see how the auto answer responds. That might help provide the proof I need to both my Mitel vendor (who insists it's a telco issue) and my telco company (who insists it's a Mitel issue) so they can figure out the responsible party and get it fixed.

Thanks!

Offline ralph

• Mitel Forums Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2013, 04:42:39 PM »
Another weird thing to try - doubt it's related to your issue but it appears to be related to mine - turn off the screen saver on the phone.

Ralph

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10