Author Topic: I need to replace a 16 port ONS card  (Read 3563 times)

Offline matthew

• View Profile
I need to replace a 16 port ONS card
« on: February 05, 2013, 10:09:36 PM »
I feel kind of dumb as I haven't worked on one of these older systems before and I don't know the terminology. I have a customer that has a system with the external cabinet with this card in it. Apparently one port of the card (MC320CF) has gone faulty and I've been sent a replacement and asked to do the swap out. What is the proper procedure to do the swap? Can I just pull the card while the system is live and replace it? Is there some kind of block/unblock process required?

Offline martyn

• View Profile
Re: I need to replace a 16 port ONS card
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2013, 10:14:45 PM »
That device would be an ASU.

One thing to check is that you have actually been sent a 16 port ONS card as the replacement. Apparently they aren't available any more, so you get 24's instead, but that means that you may have to re-number all of your ports.

Other than that, shut the ASU down, remove and replace the card and then power back up again.

Offline LoopyLou

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2013, 07:30:11 AM »
Sorry to have to correct you martyn but he is referring to an SX2000 ONS line card.

Matthew the MC320 card is hot swappable. You want to be extra carefull use a static strap when pulling the card. Otherwise pull the black tabs at the top and bottom which will unseat the card so you can just slid it out. Slid in the new card to the point you can use the top and bottom tabs ( together ) to seat the new card. It will take like a minute to load and you are good to go.

Online ralph

• Mitel Forums Admin
  • Published Author: http://amzn.to/2dcYSY5
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2013, 07:52:46 AM »
You want to be extra carefull use a static strap when pulling the card.

Always recommended but I've never used a static strap and have never had a problem.  So if yo don't have a strap I wouldn't worry about it.

Ralph

Offline martyn

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2013, 04:37:15 PM »
Sorry to have to correct you martyn but he is referring to an SX2000 ONS line card.
I Stand corrected! We don't have SX2000's down here so just assumed that it was an ONS card for an ASU!  :)

Offline matthew

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2013, 05:44:37 PM »
Thanks guys! It's a relief not having to shut down the entire cabinet. The rest of the rather large cabinet is pretty well full of other cards. I think they are for TDM phones, so it would mean a scheduled outage, change management documentation (government site), out of hours, etc.  :o

Offline LoopyLou

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2013, 08:23:30 AM »
No static strap! You should be flogged. Don't you read the tech handbook! :)

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10