Author Topic: Voicemail to Email feature  (Read 6684 times)

Offline c21dave

• Contributer
    • View Profile
Voicemail to Email feature
« on: January 09, 2013, 01:53:07 PM »
I'm relatively new to the IT field and in my industry of real estate, an in-house IT guy doesn't do much technical work except for train on software.

We recently moved locations and I move our system - Inter-Tel 5000 Version 1.2.8.208.  Since moving, things work well except for the system doesn't email out our voicemails anymore.  They system settings all stayed the same.

I'm wondering if we may have missed wiring for the ports in the back of the system - would this cause such a problem to arise?  I had honestly thought those ports were just for the digital phones we previously used (now we don't), and for the e-fax numbers we used to offer (another service we again ended since we primarily use emails now).

Any light you can shed on this would be wonderful - and again, please excuse my ignorance on the subject as this is not my area of expertise.  Thanks again!

Offline acejavelin

• Global Moderator
  • High-tech, heavy metal redneck!
    • View Profile
    • Like what I do and wanna help out? Send me a donation!
Re: Voicemail to Email feature
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2013, 06:32:31 PM »
The system sends a SMTP email message to the specified email server through the network. If the mail server changed IP addresses it could cause this issue... check your settings in System-Email Gateway and verify they are correct.

Offline c21dave

• Contributer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2013, 05:25:49 PM »
The system sends a SMTP email message to the specified email server through the network. If the mail server changed IP addresses it could cause this issue... check your settings in System-Email Gateway and verify they are correct.

Our mail server was hosted off-site and still is.  All of our IP addresses remained the same - as I had just rewired the new space, and moved everything over and rehooked it up (in a way smaller scale as we don't nearly have as many desks as we did pre-move.

Thanks for responding - any other ideas?

Offline acejavelin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2013, 09:53:34 PM »
All the system's IP settings are still correct? Did the public IP address change?

Offline c21dave

• Contributer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2013, 12:59:42 PM »
All the system's IP settings are still correct? Did the public IP address change?

Yes, all the IP settings remained the same including the server, the Inter-Tel system, the voicemail computer, etc.  The public IP address is also the same - Comcast had us move the old modem to the new location along with our router which the configuration did not change on that either.

Offline acejavelin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2013, 03:55:52 PM »
Hmmm... so what is the result if you just grab a PC on the same subnet and use telnet to simulate an SMTP email connection, does that work?

Offline c21dave

• Contributer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2013, 03:55:35 PM »
Hmmm... so what is the result if you just grab a PC on the same subnet and use telnet to simulate an SMTP email connection, does that work?

That works!  I'm puzzled by this whole situation. 

I am wondering if it might have something to do with the 12 ports we have out of the back of the unit.  I was told we didn't need them unless we planned on using digital phones or offer e-faxes which we decided against after our move so those ports are not hooked up to anything.  I was told they only would have affected those 2 components, but with the email not working now, I am wondering if they assisted in the emailing?

Offline acejavelin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2013, 04:25:07 PM »
Not likely, assuming you are using the embedded voicemail in the 5000, the only connection required is the ethernet network connection.

What does the system's avdap_log.txt file from the admin web logging page show? Try leaving a message in a mailbox with VM to email and then copy or attach the relevant log entries, go about 10-20 lines above and below the entries you think you need.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2013, 04:27:14 PM by acejavelin »

Offline c21dave

• Contributer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2013, 12:58:29 PM »
Not likely, assuming you are using the embedded voicemail in the 5000, the only connection required is the ethernet network connection.

What does the system's avdap_log.txt file from the admin web logging page show? Try leaving a message in a mailbox with VM to email and then copy or attach the relevant log entries, go about 10-20 lines above and below the entries you think you need.

Thanks for using the word embedded in your last response.  It triggered a thought process.  When I had moved the equipment to the new location, I didn't use the same POE switches because I had to keep the old office up and running as long as I could.  When I moved the Inter-Tel 5000 system over, I couldn't connect with our other location which is still open even though the vpn and internet was working and I could access the database program on my computer.  I had the phone company come out and look at it and it turned out the old IT guy in my office had setup one of the switches to a certain IP address and used that as the gateway to our real gateway.  Once we changed the gateway address in the 5000 system, we could call our other location.

Our voicemails are on a computer attached to this system and by hearing embedded I realized it was a different system - so I went to that computer and changed it's gateway address to the real gateway and not the old switch and now the voicemails are going to emails once more.

Thanks again for all your input to a newbie in this field.  I appreciate all the help and suggestions you had given me.

Offline acejavelin

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2013, 02:00:24 PM »
Sometimes all we need is that mysterious nudge in the right direction... Glad you got it working!!!

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10