Author Topic: DSS calling instead of answering  (Read 2903 times)

Offline JoeShmo

• View Profile
DSS calling instead of answering
« on: January 08, 2013, 11:58:16 AM »
We have two phones (ok, well, 500+, but I'll keep this example cleaner), all on the same controller (MCD on MSL).
Phone #1 has the primary extention on both buttom buttons (of a 5330 phone), prime, and a multicall appearence of it's own number.  Phone #2 has a DSS button setup to answer calls to phone #1.
Sometimes the DSS button works, and the call can be answered by pussing the DSS button as normal.
Other times, a call will come into phone #1, and when phone #2 hits the DSS key, it tries calling the number, rather than answering the call.
It seems almost random weather it'll answer, or try calling the number, even though that number is ringing, and the DSS light is lit.  I'm suspecting its due to the multicall feature, but I'm not sure.
We're running 5.0SP2

Any thoughts/suggestions?

Offline Dutch

• View Profile
Re: DSS calling instead of answering
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2013, 12:16:05 PM »
Seems like the multicall feature, since if 1 line appearance is not busy you will call phone 1 when the DSS on phone 2 is used.

In order to make it function, I think you're better off using 1 line button on phone 1. That way it should work correctly as a blinking light can in that case only be a second call (assuming that phone 1 is not forwarded and "BLF - CFA indication based on set is enabled in the system options)

If thats not wanted by the user, I would rather suggest a pickup group setup in that case for all the numbers incl. and program a Pickup button/key next to the DSS appearance(s). That way you can call the person quickly and also specifically pickup the call since the light will start blinking if a pickup is possible.

Also I personally rather use the "secretarial" button programming since it makes transfers quick and easy but thats personal I guess.

I hope this helps a bit.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2013, 12:20:20 PM by Dutch »

Offline JoeShmo

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2013, 03:37:44 PM »
Secretarial button seems like it would make more sense now that I read about it, but still wont resolve the issue, as it seems to be same as DSS, except the addition of the simple transfer.

I'm not sure what you mean with the putting the pickup key next to the DSS appearence.  Unless you mean not use DSS, and just program the key as pickup, but label with the #.  Although then I'd lose the speedcall functionality of DSS.

As for the multicall, I questioned that when our vendor installed everything, thinking it would probably lead to problems in the future.  I was told that it was there in case the user had to put someone on hold and make another call, or accept another call.  I guess that does kind of make sense.  Although making another call could be accomplished with the transfer key.  And any time I explained to a user that they can accept another call when they are already on the phone, they said "Well, why would I want to do that?".

I think I'll just remove that multicall appearence and see how that works.  Then maybe I'll figure out how to remove that from the other 500+ phones, and just add it back when someone actually wants to have that multicall thing.

Offline Dutch

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2013, 05:50:54 AM »
You nail the spot with that remark. I, but again that might be personal, would advise against extra line buttons in order to answer more calls simulaneously for regular phones.

If you want to do a consultation (I guess thats the correct english translation) you indeed can use the transfer button and press the cancel key (above the transfer) to return to the original caller.

multicall in my opinion is nice to use in situations where you have a special line appearance/number where you want all phones to ring simultaneously and have the number available in the reroute table.

I never use it for extra line keys on personal phone numbers but rather use alternative routing on busy/no-answer for personal calls. People might have to switch callers non-stop and it just gives bad service and wait time to calling customers. There are better ways to facilitate that functionality like a quick and easy ACD (express) group or hunt/ringgroup IF we are talking about inbound service traffic.

In your case I assume using a call pickup group would be better used maybe even complemented with a 1st alternative to a huntgroup having all the phones/hotdeskers of that group as members. That way calls automatically are presented to available colleagues of the same group/dept resulting in better service to the internal/external customer. Program a pickup key to make it visible for people that a call from a colleague can be picked up.

If the huntgroup fallback would fit in your programming, you could even use a nametag huntgroup type if you want to present the name of the huntgroup to the person answering the call. That way your colleagues can easily see what call they receive (external, internal or huntgroup) and use the correct opening/answering sentence, which again might result in better service and ease-of-use for your colleagues.

I hope its not too much info and I hope this helps.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2013, 06:12:34 AM by Dutch »

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10