Author Topic: UC Softphone without SIP?  (Read 2137 times)

Offline supermike

• View Profile
UC Softphone without SIP?
« on: December 20, 2012, 04:57:34 PM »
We are in the process of getting SIP configured. Our provider does not support the M5000 but said that it would work if we selected "Generic". It is causing some issues and we are working on it.

For now, I was wondering if the title was possible. We can use "CallViewer" from the mitel suite and be able to dial numbers from our computers and our Desktop phones will do the dialing. But we still need to use the headset that is attached to the actual phone to do the talking. We signed up for a trial on the UC smartphone, which has options for computer speaker and microphone in/output for our employees who are travelling that would like to still make/recieve phone calls from their laptop. But unlike the regular CallViewer, this one needs SIP configured.

It kinda makes sense. Just wondering if anyone else managed to get the UC softphone working without needing SIP?

Thanks!

Offline supermike

• View Profile
Re: UC Softphone without SIP?
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2012, 05:03:03 PM »
According to their documentation, which is somewhat hard to navigate, its not possible.

thans

Offline acejavelin

• Global Moderator
  • High-tech, heavy metal redneck!
    • View Profile
    • Like what I do and wanna help out? Send me a donation!
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2012, 12:15:38 AM »
supermike is indeed correct, the UC Softphone is basically a SIP Softphone, it will not function without SIP.

That being said, what is the problem... a little port forwarding and you are good to go.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2012, 12:22:12 AM by acejavelin »

Offline supermike

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2013, 12:40:10 PM »
supermike is indeed correct, the UC Softphone is basically a SIP Softphone, it will not function without SIP.

That being said, what is the problem... a little port forwarding and you are good to go.

Hi Ace,

The problem is, at this time we do not have SIP and we must switch providers to get SIP functioning.

We have remote employees that work from home. We need to have their phone at the office "Hot Desked" into their profile, and have their calls forwarded from the Office to their home phone. It works well and all, but our company is paying for them to have a second home line dedicated for those forwarded calls.

It would be nice to get SIP setup, they can hotdesk in from their PC at home and won't need the 2nd phone line, we wouldn't need to have a $350 dollar phone in the office being used to simply forward calls to another number.

So I think the answer is: SIP.

Offline acejavelin

• Global Moderator
  • High-tech, heavy metal redneck!
    • View Profile
    • Like what I do and wanna help out? Send me a donation!
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2013, 05:26:17 PM »
I think you are misunderstanding this... there are two ways things use SIP in the Mitel 5000 (and most other systems), once is line-side SIP, where you use SIP devices like the UC Softphone or a Polycom SoundPoint IP phone and they use SIP to connect to the 5000 instead of MiNET or other protocol, in this case the 5000 is essentially the SIP provider and no external SIP connections are needed to the public network provided you have the correct licensing. The other SIP service is trunk-side, where you get SIP trunks from a SIP provider, such as Clearfly or Broadband.com, to provide inbound and outbound calling to the public world, you do not need this in order to make SIP devices work.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10