Author Topic: Best way to install a 5312 at a remote location (over VPN)  (Read 5897 times)

Offline jburger

• Contributer
    • View Profile
Best way to install a 5312 at a remote location (over VPN)
« on: December 07, 2012, 01:33:32 PM »
This is my first post on this forum.  Thank you for your knowledge and the ability to exchange ideas!

I am responsible for five 3300’s and they are networked over an MPLS network.  I have a remote location that is very small and does not have MPLS.  We have a local ISP’s service (cable) with a SonicWall TZ170spw Enhanced onsite.  Management would like to install a single 5312 handset onsite.
Since we are using site-to-site VPN over the SonicWall’s (Corp has a NSA2400), my thoughts were to install the phone and point it to our existing 3300.  I know this is not the preferred method, but this is a temporary site for us with one employee.

I can ping the 3300, but the phone will not connect.

Am I missing a step / configuration or is my current configuration no plausible?  Do I need to install a Mitel Teleworker Gateway or install a 3300 in the remote location?  I would like to keep the costs as low as possible.

I appreciate any and all feedback!

Online ralph

• Mitel Forums Admin
  • Published Author: http://amzn.to/2dcYSY5
    • View Profile
Re: Best way to install a 5312 at a remote location (over VPN)
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2012, 01:41:40 PM »
If you can ping the controller then you should be ok as long as there are no firewalls on the MPLS.

Boot the phone while holding the '7' key.
Put in the IP address of the 3300 you want to register to and save it by pressing the vol down button.

The phone should now boot off of the 3300.

Ralph

Offline gimitel

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2012, 10:12:00 PM »
Ralph, must he also add the vlan id into the phone?

Offline acejavelin

• Global Moderator
  • High-tech, heavy metal redneck!
    • View Profile
    • Like what I do and wanna help out? Send me a donation!
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2012, 12:53:20 AM »
He shouldn't have to setup any VLAN in the phone, the routers should handle that if setup properly... The phone should generally be default, then follow Ralph's instructions above to input the phone in TW mode and just input the internal IP address of the 3300 at the remote site, if the VPN is setup correctly that should be all that is required. We have done several Mitel IP phones this way and it has usually worked fine, even to have several phones at one location over a single VPN connection.

Offline jburger

• Contributer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2013, 10:42:05 AM »
Thank you for your assistance!!

I was able to get the 5312 to work off of the 3300icp via VPN.  My QoS is fine.  I can make calls to and from the 3300's site with no problem.

Next issue:  Our Internet / VPN connection is at our corporate office.  We have 5 manufacturing locations across the United States.  Each having a 3300ICP that is networked.  I have configured a SonicWall firewall at my house to mimic the configuration our offsite warehouse (IP addressing was changed).

I have the 5312 registered to the 3300ICP in plant A.  I can call Plant A extensions and they can call me.  Again, the QoS is close to perfect.   I can call our Corporate extensions and they can call my remote extension (again corporate is the Internet / VPN site).

If I call Plant B, Plant C, Plant D, or Plant E....I can make the call, but the phone drops when they pick up.  They can not hear me.  The users in those locations can call me, I see their name and number, but I can not hear them.

Any ideas / suggestions?   The only configuration I have not made is adding the Plant B, C, D or E's subnets to the firewall / routing tables.  I will try that next.  (Thanks...I may have thought it through typing this!!!)

Offline LoopyLou

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2013, 12:52:31 PM »
You have an issue with the ports that are open in your firewall. When you call another phone, your phone asks the 3300 to setup the call. Therefore the exchange of packets to cause the other phone to ring is between the IP address of the phone and the IP address of the 3300 controller. Once the call is setup then the voice RTP packets will be streamed directly between the IP address of your phone and the IP address of the remote phone. These packets need to be able to go through your firewall. So when you see their name and number ringing your phone that is basically a message from your 3300. That would suggest the packets from the remote phones can make it to the 3300. When you answer and can't hear them then that is because the RTP packets from the remote phones can't reach you. Your idea to add the subnets to the router will likely fix the problem.

Offline jburger

• Contributer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2013, 01:07:12 AM »
That was it!!  I can call all of my remote plants with no issues!!  Thanks LoopyLou, acejavelin, gimitel, and ralph!!   I really appreciate you time and expertise!!

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10