Author Topic: Edgewater PoE Switches and the 5000  (Read 3945 times)

Online acejavelin

• Global Moderator
  • High-tech, heavy metal redneck!
    • View Profile
    • Like what I do and wanna help out? Send me a donation!
Edgewater PoE Switches and the 5000
« on: November 15, 2012, 04:17:45 PM »
I have three sites that have a Edgewater Networks EdgeConnect 2402PoE Switch http://edgewaternetworks.com/products/edgeconnect-switch/overview.html (We use a TON of these switches for out hosted SIP service and they just work, never have to touch them once setup)

All three of these sites are relatively smaller, with 15-24 IP phones that are all Mitel 53xx series phones, and are basic, flat networks... no VLANs, one DHCP server with option 43 built, etc. with v5.0 or v5.1 Mitel 5000 HX systems, and the switches are all just factory defaults except for an IP address appropriate for the network and PC's connected through the phones. The issue that seems to crop up is about once every month two is if a phone is unplugged and reconnected, it won't reconnect to the 5000, it gets DHCP and sees option 43 then goes all the way to the "SET IP: xx.xx.xx.xx ICP: xx.xx.xx.xx" screen and just sits there and never connects. All the other phones continue to work properly, even if their DHCP expires and is renewed, but if any phone is unplugged the same issue occurs and they just get stuck at the same screen. Power cycling the switch solves the problem in every instance. PC's and other devices that are disconnected/reconnected have no issues. The kicker is that I have the same switches installed on smaller Mitel 3300's with similar phones and this issue never occurs, I also have these switches installed in two sites that have VLANs configured, never had an issue either. Any thoughts?
« Last Edit: November 15, 2012, 04:19:59 PM by acejavelin »

Online ralph

• Mitel Forums Admin
  • Published Author: http://amzn.to/2dcYSY5
    • View Profile
Re: Edgewater PoE Switches and the 5000
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2012, 04:53:19 PM »
You may have to do a wireshark sniff to see what the DHCP is doing.
is there an active DHCP lease?  Can it be deleted?

Ralph

Offline marcolive

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2012, 06:43:44 PM »
Noticed that also on a 5000 at v 5.1 (the latest SP) on a Adtran switch with option 43. DHCP was managed by the switch itself... In my case, phone would connect, but after like 5 minutes.

In that case, I configured option 125 instead of 43 (with vendor ID), and everything is fine then.

Can you try it?

Online acejavelin

• Global Moderator
  • High-tech, heavy metal redneck!
    • View Profile
    • Like what I do and wanna help out? Send me a donation!
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2012, 08:30:59 AM »
In all of these cases the DHCP server is handled by the customer's IT "department", I will have to talk to them and see if we can switch it to 125. I don't think this is a DHCP issue though, it is being handled by Windows servers in all cases, and if jump into config mode of the phone when it is like this everything in the current IP settings is correct, it just can't seem to make the MiNet connection.

EDIT: Scratch the possibility of it being a DHCP issue, my on-call tech got a call of this issue last night at a car dealership (one of the ones having this issue), and as I quizzed him on it some this morning he reminded me that this site doesn't have DHCP at all, the entire network is all statically assigned. When he was troubleshooting this he tried plugging the phone into several open spots on the Edgewater switch and it did the same thing, went to the back where the phone system is with a little 5-port switch connected and a POE injector ahead of the Edgewater switch and the phone booted fine, reset the switch and then worked again. Looks like the next time this happens it is grab some captures and go back to Edgewater Networks and see what they say.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2012, 09:13:48 AM by acejavelin »

Offline Stix1

• Contributer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2012, 01:45:45 PM »
I had an issue with IPRC cards where the networking would freeze up on me.  The problem had to do with re-directs.  Once I disabled them on the IPRC cards the problem went away.  I know this is a different scenario than the one you are dealing with but it might be worth a shot to see if you can disable those on the switch in question.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10