Author Topic: Boot Loop: L2 Download Error after entering PIN  (Read 20325 times)

Offline qwtech

• Contributer
    • View Profile
Boot Loop: L2 Download Error after entering PIN
« on: November 07, 2012, 05:33:35 PM »
Brand new to these forums, and admittedly a complete Mitel noob. I've been tasked with getting some brand new 5330's for some new users, but I'm hitting a wall. The phones will boot fine and then ask for a PIN. My experience with 5215/5224/5220s is that you enter the **1 and then the extension you're applying to the phone. Once I do that, the phone flashes our correct Mitel server IP address and reboots, but when downloading updates, it then displays "L2 DOWNLOAD ERR", and eventually gets to "GetSoftwareLoad" with the correct Mitel server IP again. This cycle continues forever.

I've scoured the internet for anyone else having this same problem with no luck, but I've found that there is some info I might provide you knowledgeable folk that might help.

Phone Firmware Version 01.00.00.10
Using Option 128+

I know very little about the Mitel server settings itself (I just setup and manage the users), but I might be able to have my boss provide information on request.

Thank you for any help/guidance you may be able to provide.

Online ralph

• Mitel Forums Admin
  • Published Author: http://amzn.to/2dcYSY5
    • View Profile
Re: Boot Loop: L2 Download Error after entering PIN
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2012, 06:00:16 AM »
Start by defaulting the phone.   Boot it while holding the '9' key, enter network config and say 'no' until you get to modify network settings.   You can default it there.

Next, you'll need to verify that the PBX is programmed with the correct phone type.   From what you're describing it doesn't sound like that's the problem but it wouldn't hurt to check.

Next, plug the phone into a known good data jack.   Unplug a working phone and plug it back it just to be sure it comes up and you're not dealing with a data switch issue, then plug the bad phone in.   If it's still not working I'd call it a bad phone.

Ralph

Offline acejavelin

• Global Moderator
  • High-tech, heavy metal redneck!
    • View Profile
    • Like what I do and wanna help out? Send me a donation!
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2012, 10:52:36 AM »
Phone Firmware Version 01.00.00.10
This bothers me a little bit... I don't think this is correct and it looks like the firmware is corrupted, it shouldn't be a 1.x revision anytime.

Seems to me this what the phones display if the power gets pulled during flashing, and they are bricked...

Also, when defaulting I always hold VOL-DOWN when powering up, then when the menu comes up press NO until you get to "Tools and Features" then select YES, then NO until you get to "RESTORE DEFAULTS", then "CONFIRM" YES.

Offline qwtech

• Contributer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2012, 02:08:35 PM »
Thank you very much for your help, gentlemen!

A bit more background:
- There are two 5300 series phones already setup and working on our system. They were setup by my boss, but it was a while ago and he cannot recall doing anything different than with our 5200 series phones. Unplugging them and rebooting them does not cause any issues and they boot up fine.

- We bought six brand new 5330s, and they all have this same L2 Download Error issue. The first time they boot, they got to the PIN, but after entering the PIN, they have all have this error.

- About 50% of the time I can Default the Network settings and get back to the PIN screen, but the same thing occurs if I enter the pin again. Can you verify that entering the PIN and extension is the same as on the 5200 series phones? **1XXXX where XXXX is the extension, right?

One correction to my last post:
- The phone boots and has "DHCP: Discovering Using Option 128+" but then shows "Releasing" and then tries again using Option 125.

ralph - Correct me if I'm wrong, but by "verify that the PBX is programmed with the correct phone type" do you mean make sure the extension I assigned to the phone has 5330 set as the phone type? If you do, I have verified that several times.

acejavelin - The firmware version was the number that shows on boot labeled "Boot Ver" and "Master Ver" Am I correct in deducing that is indeed the firmware version?

« Last Edit: November 08, 2012, 02:11:01 PM by qwtech »

Online ralph

• Mitel Forums Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2012, 02:43:09 PM »
ralph - Correct me if I'm wrong, but by "verify that the PBX is programmed with the correct phone type" do you mean make sure the extension I assigned to the phone has 5330 set as the phone type? If you do, I have verified that several times.

Yes.  That was what I was looking for.  Sounds like you've already checked.

Ralph

Offline ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2012, 05:09:56 PM »
What software version are you running on your controller? I seem to recall some issues with 5330/5340 on one of the version 9 builds.

You said you are running 2x 53XX phones, and what models are they (I'm guessing 5312/5324)

Offline qwtech

• Contributer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2012, 05:21:02 PM »
ghost - I'm told we are using version 10.2.2.15, and the other phones we have on the system are a 5330 and a 5340. Makes this even more confusing. <_>

Offline ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2012, 05:38:14 PM »
Ok then I'm left scratching my head, I am about to head to work where I have some 10.2.2.15 and 10.2.2.19 in operation so I will try to work some thing out for you.

Offline ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2012, 07:07:03 PM »
You talk about it configuring and rebooting after you put the pin in, mine goes straight from the pin screen to the loaded screen with no messages or reboot.

Can you try putting the phone into teleworker mode for me? reboot the phone, hold down 7 while booting, select * to config teleworker, select # to enter new settings, key in your controller IP (* = backspace, # = . and down arrow to finish)

(this is not an ideal solution but in this case may help with trouble shooting)

Online ralph

• Mitel Forums Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2012, 07:14:47 PM »
Can you try putting the phone into teleworker mode for me? reboot the phone, hold down 7 while booting, select * to config teleworker, select # to enter new settings, key in your controller IP (* = backspace, # = . and down arrow to finish)

Great idea ghost.   I should have suggested that earlier.

Ralph

Offline x-man

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2012, 06:55:20 AM »
New phones tend to want to load software relevant to the release on first boot up unless they happen to match. I assume that your DHCP settings are on an external server since you are using 128? Check these to make sure your TFTO server is pointing to the Mitel IP (just in case someone changed them). Also might be worth setting up option 125 as well because I have known one 3300 which refused to operate on 128,129 and 130 even though they were correct and insisted on option 125... once I had put option 125 in it was happy to use option 128 if i took it out again. This was a release MCD 4.x system

Offline qwtech

• Contributer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2012, 05:42:59 PM »
Thank you all for your suggestions, but the issue remains.

ghost - I was provided my teleworker IP by my boss and followed your instructions, but it has the same L2 Download Err, same boot loop. :-/

x-man - I believe you are right about our DHCP running off of a different server, and I am currently working with my boss to verify these settings. However, if those settings were the issue, the 5340 and one other 5330 that were set up months ago would still be having problems, right? That is to say, if we were to unplug them and plug them back in, they would be stuck in this same loop. We have rebooted those phones, and they boot without issue.

Offline acejavelin

• Global Moderator
  • High-tech, heavy metal redneck!
    • View Profile
    • Like what I do and wanna help out? Send me a donation!
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2012, 12:27:25 AM »
I think you are missing what ghost said about teleworker mode, put the phone in teleworker mode on the local lan and use the 3300's INTERNAL IP address, not the teleworker gateway. This will test the wether DHCP is the cause of the issue or not, because with those settings in there it will ignore options 43/125/128.

BTW, in non-Mitel servers providing DHCP, I quite using 125 or 128/129/130 and now use strictly option 43, it is so much easier to setup.

Offline qwtech

• Contributer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2012, 04:52:45 PM »
Sorry that I haven't updated the situation in a week or so.

We tried ghost's suggestion, we even tried connecting the phone directly into the phone system, bypassing DHCP altogether and we get the same L2 Download error and boot loop. At this point, we think it's a bad batch of firmware from the company we bought them from.

One of the six phones is not giving an L2 error and has a firmware of 01.00.00.23, but it throws a TFTP Packet Send error instead that I can't seem to get rid of either. We have someone from our phone company coming out to take a better look at them tomorrow, and hopefully we'll get it sorted.

Thank you all so much for your efforts in assisting me; you've been very kind.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10