Author Topic: IP routing on HP 2910al for Mitel systems  (Read 4094 times)

Offline ianbt001

• View Profile
IP routing on HP 2910al for Mitel systems
« on: October 31, 2012, 10:58:28 AM »
Gents, I am setting up (trying to set up ) a network with one DHCP server and two Vlans, voice and data.
The voice is on Vlan 10 and the data on Vlan 1
Vlan 10 is on 172.22.1.0/24
Vlan 1 is on 172.20.1.0/22

What I need is to be able to route traffic between the two networks using the HP procurve but am unsure how to do it.
I have turned on ip routing but am not sure what to put in the ip route table to allow this to work.
Any help appreciated.

Offline martyn

• View Profile
Re: IP routing on HP 2910al for Mitel systems
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2012, 06:04:59 PM »
If you have enabled ip routing then that is all you need to do as far as routing goes. You will need to set the default gateway of the voice devices to the ip address of the switch on the voice vlan.

Also in order for DHCP to work you will need to set an IP helper up in order for DHCP requests to be forwarded to your DHCP server, and obviously you would have 2 scopes configured on there.

On the data vlan you would either need to set the switch to be the default gateway for devices, or add a static route on their gateway to point all traffic destined for the voice network to go via the switch rather than the default gateway.

Can you post the output of "sh run" here and then we can help with what needs to be configured or changed.

Offline bobcheese

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2012, 07:22:22 PM »
you need to assign IP addresses against the VLAN's which become the gateway for that subnet

Offline acejavelin

• Global Moderator
  • High-tech, heavy metal redneck!
    • View Profile
    • Like what I do and wanna help out? Send me a donation!
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2012, 09:26:06 AM »
I have done this in the past with no issues on 2600, 2900, and 3500 series switches, and it is exactly as martyn and bobcheese describe... that being said, the most recent install I did with a 2920 switch had these options but it did not work, I don't know if it's a firmware thing or HP changed the way this works, but after messing with it for a few hours I gave up and just added a second network connection on the customers router for that subnet and (un)tagged traffic on two ports of the switch, using the router as the way between the networks.

But back to the OP's question, remember when you set this up, the switch has to have IP addresses in each VLAN, assigned a gateway (your router's IP most likely), IP Routing turned on, then all devices in either subnet use the HP switch's IP address for each specific subnet as their gateway and not the normal router anymore, the HP switch hands off traffic to the gateway and routes between the two networks. It is pretty much that simple.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2012, 09:30:15 AM by acejavelin »

Offline ianbt001

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2012, 05:03:37 PM »
Thanks Gents.

Offline martyn

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2012, 05:45:08 PM »
you need to assign IP addresses against the VLAN's which become the gateway for that subnet
Good point, I was assuming that one was already set!

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10