Author Topic: Anyone else a heavy user of UCA softphone?  (Read 2276 times)

Offline jherlitz

• View Profile
Anyone else a heavy user of UCA softphone?
« on: October 04, 2012, 11:25:12 AM »
We are a heavy user of the UCA clients.  The majority of our users are laptop users that work from the field, home, or one of our other offices.  So we have rolled out the softphone to majority of those users.  We continue to have random strange issues with them.  We use a USB headset and set all the settings within the control panel, and the softphone settings menu of the client.

I can list some of the issues I have, but was more curious to see how many other admin's out there are heavily using them and how your experience is, problems you have experience, solutions you have found.  Any information that would be helpful.

Thank you for reading this.

Offline akuhn

• View Profile
Re: Anyone else a heavy user of UCA softphone?
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2012, 11:41:32 AM »
We have a small number who use them, myself included.

Biggest issue I can think of is creating a useful Status (we settled on "Telework Mode") and reminding the users to switch between
"In the office" and "Telework Mode" as they move between locations.

The second issue is, like you point to, showing the users the Sound icon in Windows 7, and how things change when you plug in
either an analog or usb headset.  Sometimes the integration between the client and windows breaks and the headphone/mic doesn't become the default device.

Moreover, 2 users have headsets in the office hooked up to their phones, so unless they choose the right status, there can be a
conflict between the telework status and the facts on the ground in the office.

Offline jherlitz

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2012, 12:10:06 PM »
Yeah, we have experienced the same as you described.  I have both a 5330 and a UCA client, and my UCA works great, I don't have issues.  Though I am conscious to close the client and reopen it after say undocking my computer to go to a meeting, or disconnecting from the network, headset, etc..

Complaints we get is, echo, scratchy, headset getting disconnected, or all settings look good, but some reason the headset won't work.  Sometimes changing USB ports will help, but not always.  I have one user where the Message indicator will not go away even though she doesn't have any messages.

It just seems like we are struggling a lot with these and users are starting to get crabby..

Offline akuhn

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2012, 01:14:35 PM »
the message indicator with no messages sounds like something on our InterTel deskphones.  It's possible
to "leave a message" with someone that's really a request for call back.  Infinity + something erases that message.  Can't remember right now. 

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10