Author Topic: Mitel UCA - Opportunity  (Read 5170 times)

Offline ralph

• Mitel Forums Admin
  • Published Author: http://amzn.to/2dcYSY5
    • View Profile
Mitel UCA - Opportunity
« on: August 21, 2012, 11:42:17 AM »
I had a brief meeting with the Mitel product manager for UCA today.
I asked him if he was open to do an email interview regarding UCA, it's road map and how, as techs, we should prepare.

My question to the group is this:
Do you have any specific questions you would like to ask?   
I'll need to be careful about publishing anything that might be useful to competitors ahead of time but this would be a great opportunity to ask some questions of the person in charge of where the product is going.

Ralph

Offline PFloyd

• Contributer
    • View Profile
Re: Mitel UCA - Opportunity
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2012, 04:22:31 PM »
I'd ask him the following:
- What are the plans for making the application more 64-bit friendly? The IE Plugin only works with 32 bit IE, for example.
- We're a Lotus Notes shop, and we've had all sorts of issues with the Notes plugin. The biggest one is that it does not install in MOST cases, and Mitel engineering hasn't solved that yet. Also, the calendar integration ignores long standing features of the Notes calendar, such as indicating on a meeting entry to 'Mark Available' so that your calendar doesn't indicate that the time is unavailable for other meetings (I use it all the time with All Day events, such as birthdays...). Right now, UCA will say that I'm "In a meeting" all day because it doesn't process that flag correctly.
- Are they going to get Chat capability in the iOS clients?
- Any consideration for having some type of priority system for those who use UCA on the desktop as well as a mobile device? Each wants to manage your status (mobile will want to do it based on your location, desktop wants to it based on your calendar). I get that, but some type of priority system for which client gets priority to do status updates over the other would be helpful (I'm not explaining this well, I apologize if that confuses anyone).
- It would be wonderful if there could be some type of either coordinated timer and/or desktop option to change your status to be 'In the office' and 'Out of the office' either based on a time of day (timer) or based on whether the desktop application is running. Many of our users just quit the desktop at the end of their day (or walk out of the building) and don't change their status (most users do not use the mobile client), so it leaves them as 'In the office' even through UCA is no longer running. Some other type of status, maybe even 'Status unavailable' would be more helpful than wondering if the user is really still in the office.

I'll have more, for sure. Those are the few that have been bugging me the most.

Offline martyn

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2012, 06:46:35 PM »
For me the biggest issue with UCA (and some of the other products) is it's lack of AD integration to allow for Single Sign On (SSO). If that was included then there would be a lot less head aches, and the product would be more appealing to larger organisations who are comparing it to a Lync/LBG solution.

Offline ralph

• Mitel Forums Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2012, 07:50:32 PM »
So I've got:
1- Will there be better Lotus Notes integration?
2- When will 64 bit support become available?
3- When will AD integration be coming?
4- Chat features for iOS?

I'm leaning away from asking questions such as "I've got a problem with my setup and need you to fix it." type questions.
I'd like to get his thoughts on his vision of the future.   Where are things going long term.   Where's the industry heading?  What can we do as technical support type people to prepare ourselves and our companies for what's coming down the pipe long term?

As an example of what's coming up:  the 5550 will be supported soon.  - real soon -

I'd also be interested in hearing his thoughts of UCA vs Lync.

Ralph

Offline ralph

• Mitel Forums Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2012, 09:03:17 PM »
Also,
How about:  Are there any plans to integrate social networking with UCA such a facebook or Twitter.

Ralph

Offline boycey9

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2012, 09:25:38 AM »
When using multiple UCA servers in different countries the ability for the client to work out which its local server is,and connect to that so as to minimise traffic and delays..

Offline harts

• Contributer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2012, 09:28:54 AM »
My questions also relate to AD integration, single sign on, group policy templates, central management of feeatures for users.

Offline Mattmayn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2012, 07:34:23 AM »
How about a softphone client for mobile devices?

Offline ralph

• Mitel Forums Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2012, 07:39:42 AM »
I've heard rumors.....

December(?)

Ralph

Offline akuhn

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2012, 07:32:51 AM »
Apple integration and popular chat integration.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

Offline mav

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2012, 04:05:33 PM »
Mattmayn - softphone for mobile devices is on the way

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10