Author Topic: IP Networking VPN or Internet  (Read 1980 times)

Offline edmicra

• Contributer
    • View Profile
IP Networking VPN or Internet
« on: February 23, 2011, 06:15:43 AM »
Hi

I have a customer who has two 3300MXe controllers on MCD 4.1

One in the UK and the other in Asia. We have IP Networking licences on both and want to configure IP Networking. My experience of LAN/WAN networking is not great although I have set up IP Networking over a VPN never have via Internet.

Some network admins have suggested that the overhead on the VPN is high resulting in less bandwidth. Although I think that configuring IP Networking over a VPN will be less complicated for me and the customer. The customer wants to route the traffic over an Internet connection rather than use a VPN. I have no idea how they will configure the routing but would like to understand how this might be done and or the pitfalls of doing so.

Any advice is appreciated.

Offline Chakara

• View Profile
    • Kyle Petree
Re: IP Networking VPN or Internet
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2011, 01:22:25 AM »
  I agree with you that a VPN is the way to go here.  I don't think IP Trunking will work over NAT - maybe if you did it with SIP but then you'd loose features.  So without a VPN I'm pretty sure you'd have to put the controllers on publicly routable IP's.  I seem to recall another post here on what ports are needed.  http://www.mitelforums.com/forum/index.php?topic=951.0

Might work.....

-Chak

Offline edmicra

• Contributer
    • View Profile
Re: IP Networking VPN or Internet
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2011, 07:15:49 AM »
Chak

Thanks for the feedback

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10