Author Topic: Migration of MiCollab VM to a New VMware Cluster  (Read 1201 times)

Offline dbstephensIT

• View Profile
Migration of MiCollab VM to a New VMware Cluster
« on: November 09, 2023, 03:30:45 PM »
Good afternoon, and thank you to all those who support this community!  We have a MiCollab virtual machine (VM) [version MiCollab 8.0.2.101] currently running in a VMware ESXi 5.1 cluster that is being retired.  If I power off the VM and then use the VMware OVF Tool to directly copy this VM to a host in our newer VMware ESXi 6.5 cluster (a fully separate cluster), is it expected that our licensing will be preserved and the VM will continue to function as before?  Our software maintenance with Mitel has long since expired, and it is costly (10K+) to renew according to a price quote from our local phone support company.  So, if I have to, I'll keep the old cluster running, but I'd much rather migrate the VM onto our newer cluster.

If licensing is not preserved, is there a way for me to contact Mitel to get a new license key or take whatever steps are needed to reactivate the licenses?  (Which include NuPoint voice mail, MiCollab, and UM Advanced licenses.)

And a quick side question -- the feature to have NuPoint voice mails delivered as e-mail messages no longer functions after recent security changes in Microsoft Exchange Online.  Has anyone out there found a workaround?

Offline sunspark

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Migration of MiCollab VM to a New VMware Cluster
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2023, 03:34:11 PM »
If you keep the same micollab version you can migrate.
You need mitel software assurance (swa) only if you need to upgrade the micollab version or to rise a case with mitel support.

Offline dbstephensIT

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2023, 03:37:02 PM »
Thank you for such a quick response!  As a precaution, I suspect I should retain the old VM until I verify that the migrated VM is working correctly.  In case I encounter an issue with the migrated VM, is it likely that I can power up the old VM on the existing ESXi 5.1 host and it will work fine?

Offline dilkie

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2023, 04:04:40 PM »
when you move the vm, if you tell vmware it's a "move" and not a "copy" of a vm, I think it'll all work because the h/w footprint won't change.

this is assuming you are keeping all the same ip addresses and such.

Offline lundah

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Chief Grunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2023, 09:26:02 AM »
And a quick side question -- the feature to have NuPoint voice mails delivered as e-mail messages no longer functions after recent security changes in Microsoft Exchange Online.  Has anyone out there found a workaround?

The VM migration seems to be covered already, but the answer to this question is to upgrade MiCollab to a version that supports OAuth connections to MS365.

Offline dbstephensIT

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2024, 07:37:33 PM »
I'm reporting back that the migration of the vMiCollab virtual machine, using the VMware OVF Tool, was successful.  All features, including NuPoint Voice Mail and MiCollab Client are functional, and licensing was preserved.  Thank you all for your help.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10