Author Topic: Installing MSL 11.0 on Bare-Bones Dell R350 for ISS  (Read 1258 times)

Offline Tech Electronics

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Installing MSL 11.0 on Bare-Bones Dell R350 for ISS
« on: August 30, 2023, 04:00:15 PM »
We are trying to use a Dell R350 as an ISS for an MBG.

Since Dell requires the use UEFI we used RUFUS to create a bootable USB of the ISO.

We can get the MSL installation software to load but have issues with it finding media to install on, as in it can't find the internal HD.

I have tested the Hard Drive and it is good, but just to make sure we replaced it with a known good one and still have the same problem.

Has anyone else run into this issue and been able to solve it?

I am thinking about just using the free version of VMWare ESXi Hypervisor and turning the ISS into a Virtual Host Machine.

Thanks,

TE

Offline johnp

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Installing MSL 11.0 on Bare-Bones Dell R350 for ISS
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2023, 07:15:11 PM »
It going to be some kind of raid driver missing on the MSL, I would try the VMware

Offline Tech Electronics

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2023, 07:55:48 AM »
johnp,

I was looking at this last night and it seems you are correct as Mitel doesn't have the latest PERC drivers on the version of MSL I am trying to install.

I guess the next thing is whether or not the free version of VMWare will impose any limitations going forward.

Thanks,

Steven

Offline dilkie

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2023, 08:49:01 AM »
yeah, you're going to loose half your performance by moving to a VM... that may or may not matter to you.

Offline ACDeezNutz

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2023, 06:58:37 PM »
How would going to VMware lose half of the performance?  An MBG uses 2 or 4 cores and 4GB of RAM.  We pretty much ONLY install all of our Mitel systems as victuals.

Offline dilkie

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2023, 08:58:10 AM »
it may be better now but our initial testing, years ago, showed a pretty significant perf impact for rtp streaming.

The limiting factor for MBG isn't cpu, it's network interrupt load and the extra path through the hypervisor, the virtual "network", and the virtual network drivers in the guest VM do have a big impact on the max interrupts/sec that can be processed and that means it limits the number of active calls that can be handled simultaneously.

that's all.

Offline ACDeezNutz

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2023, 10:30:21 PM »
Mitel released an article about this SO6005.  Basically make sure you use the newest version of Rufus and select the "dd" option instead of ISO when it pops up when you are ready to write the image.  You are home free after that.  DD locks the image on the USB and ISO is letting it put boot files on the USB instead of the intended hard drive.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10