Author Topic: External relay from hook switch  (Read 1180 times)

Offline VeeDubb65

• View Profile
External relay from hook switch
« on: July 27, 2023, 12:48:12 PM »
I'm in a weird situation because my company has a surveillance department that likes to pretend they're clandestine, so they sometimes come up with these very specific requests where they've figured out half a solution for something, and want us to help figure out the rest without explaining the goal.

This time, what they want is an external relay that is a physical relay which is tripped when the receiver is picked up.

Any thoughts on how to accomplish this on a 5324?

Online ralph

• Mitel Forums Admin
  • Published Author: http://amzn.to/2dcYSY5
    • View Profile
Re: External relay from hook switch
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2023, 01:59:06 PM »
What would this be for?  Something at someone's desk so they could spy on them?

Or is it something like a door phone where they need something triggered when someone at the door goes off hook?

Ralph

Offline lundah

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Chief Grunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2023, 04:19:27 PM »
I haven't actually done this, but I think you could use an Algo 8063 to set a SIP extension as your relay trigger. Then you set the phone up as a hotline to dial the Algo's SIP extension, which in turn trips your relay.

Offline VeeDubb65

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2023, 04:42:55 PM »

Or is it something like a door phone where they need something triggered when someone at the door goes off hook?

Ralph

Frustratingly, I have no idea. Part of them pretending they're clandestine, is that they never want to explain themselves. Their tech supervisor called me because he wasn't to do something. He is unable or unwilling to tell me what he's trying to accomplish, even in general terms. I asked, "Is your goal interacting with a system, or live interaction with someone in the room?" and he wasn't able to answer...

The only thing he said was that he needed a relay that would open and close when the handset was picked up, because he had figured out a way to do whatever the heck he wanted to do if I could provide that.

After I posted this, I went back to him to clarify if he specifically needed a relay for some reason, or if he really just needed a circuit that opened and closed. He confirmed that an opening and closing circuit would do the job, so I pointed him to the same kind of micro-switches that cheap 3D printers use for end-stops, and suggested affixing one of those to the top of the phone where the handset hangs over. They activation pressure is very low, so he should be able to find a mounting height where it reliable closes the switch when the handset is on the base without interfering with the actual hook switch. Effective, he's going to hot-glue an external hook switch to the phones, so I guess we're good.

Offline VeeDubb65

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2023, 04:44:38 PM »
I haven't actually done this, but I think you could use an Algo 8063 to set a SIP extension as your relay trigger. Then you set the phone up as a hotline to dial the Algo's SIP extension, which in turn trips your relay.

If the mechanical switched turn out to be too janky I'll dig in on this one.

Offline ZuluAlpha

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2023, 09:13:15 AM »

Ralph

Frustratingly, I have no idea. Part of them pretending they're clandestine, is that they never want to explain themselves. Their tech supervisor called me because he wasn't to do something. He is unable or unwilling to tell me what he's trying to accomplish, even in general terms. I asked, "Is your goal interacting with a system, or live interaction with someone in the room?" and he wasn't able to answer...

The only thing he said was that he needed a relay that would open and close when the handset was picked up, because he had figured out a way to do whatever the heck he wanted to do if I could provide that.

After I posted this, I went back to him to clarify if he specifically needed a relay for some reason, or if he really just needed a circuit that opened and closed. He confirmed that an opening and closing circuit would do the job, so I pointed him to the same kind of micro-switches that cheap 3D printers use for end-stops, and suggested affixing one of those to the top of the phone where the handset hangs over. They activation pressure is very low, so he should be able to find a mounting height where it reliable closes the switch when the handset is on the base without interfering with the actual hook switch. Effective, he's going to hot-glue an external hook switch to the phones, so I guess we're good.

Almost sounds like a headset lifter kit!

Offline lundah

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Chief Grunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2023, 10:28:00 AM »

If the mechanical switched turn out to be too janky I'll dig in on this one.

The only hitch with this is then the phone can't make outbound calls, as lifting the handset will only hotline dial the SIP extension for the Algo unit.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10