Author Topic: Moving from one MXE III to another scenario  (Read 631 times)

Offline Crowtalks

• View Profile
Moving from one MXE III to another scenario
« on: July 13, 2023, 11:44:14 AM »
We have a spare MXE III with RTC, SATA Raid, etc that our local county government ordered in case of hardware failure.

I am wondering if there were a scenario where the MXE III failed, could I just swap HDDs from one cabinet to another nad have it come up and work, or does the Mitel software care what environment it lives in?

Jim

Offline acejavelin

• Global Moderator
  • High-tech, heavy metal redneck!
    • View Profile
    • Like what I do and wanna help out? Send me a donation!
Re: Moving from one MXE III to another scenario
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2023, 02:15:28 PM »
We have a spare MXE III with RTC, SATA Raid, etc that our local county government ordered in case of hardware failure.

I am wondering if there were a scenario where the MXE III failed, could I just swap HDDs from one cabinet to another nad have it come up and work, or does the Mitel software care what environment it lives in?

Jim
You can literally do that with a few caveats...

1) the system IP address and associated information is stored in firmware, you will need to set it through the RS232 port on initial boot
2) you will need to move the SYSID chip as well (looks like a lithium battery on inside the cabinet), this is what keys the software license to the hardware platform. If you move that you don't have to relicense the controller or anything, just boot and go.
3) by HDDs I assume you mean you have a RAID controller. The drives are "keyed" to the RAID controller, if you move the RAID controller and drives as a set, you are fine... if you move the drives to a different RAID controller you will need to clear the hardware IDs and resync them.
4) Be careful to keep things in the same physical positions... moving them like having the PRI card in slot 1 and then on the other controller it's in slot 2 can create all kinds of havoc in some cases

There are probably a few more, but these are the ones I can think of off the top of my head.

Offline Crowtalks

• View Profile
Re: Moving from one MXE III to another scenario
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2023, 09:59:23 AM »

Jim
You can literally do that with a few caveats...

1) the system IP address and associated information is stored in firmware, you will need to set it through the RS232 port on initial boot
2) you will need to move the SYSID chip as well (looks like a lithium battery on inside the cabinet), this is what keys the software license to the hardware platform. If you move that you don't have to relicense the controller or anything, just boot and go.
3) by HDDs I assume you mean you have a RAID controller. The drives are "keyed" to the RAID controller, if you move the RAID controller and drives as a set, you are fine... if you move the drives to a different RAID controller you will need to clear the hardware IDs and resync them.
4) Be careful to keep things in the same physical positions... moving them like having the PRI card in slot 1 and then on the other controller it's in slot 2 can create all kinds of havoc in some cases

There are probably a few more, but these are the ones I can think of off the top of my head.

Thanks heaps! I had forgotten about the I-button...(I retired from our local ILEC and I had installed and maintained these high-availability system for our local government, but after I retired I farmed and played and forgot most of what I had known, though its starting to come back to me)

I have a spare MXE III that I have assigned addressing to thru VX-Works and it does have a RAID controller. We aren't using T-1 framers anymore, they went to SIP, though I would probably want to migrate them just cause (I didn't think about slot positioning).

Jim

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10