Author Topic: Connecting Remote phones to System without MBG  (Read 1407 times)

Offline robert.moore

• View Profile
Connecting Remote phones to System without MBG
« on: July 12, 2023, 12:59:01 PM »
I have a Customer with a Master and One Satellite , 470 and 430 respectively  . He has got 5 phones on a remote site with site to site VPN between  the Master system . He is refusing to purchase MBG. The phones are not registering and I am not sure if it is the level of software the system is on as they are on 4.1 . Could some help please . the IT guy insist he has open all the ports . Which specific ports do I need to check. Thanks in advance .

Offline bojo387

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Connecting Remote phones to System without MBG
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2023, 03:27:13 AM »
What checks have you made?
What are the terminals? Mitel SIP? Standard SIP? Does the system have the required terminal licenses?
Is the ping, at least, between the sites OK? Are you able to access WebAdmin from the remote site?
If you run VoIP trace (telnet 1818) check the SIP messages especially when at the time when the phones try to register.
You can also run a Wireshark trace on both sides to see what could be wrong.

Offline robert.moore

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2023, 08:18:56 AM »
The Terminals are ; Mitel 6867 Sip phones , 59 of them and they do have enough license to cover all of them . I have a remote session with IT Monday and I will you the Wireshark  Trace but. I was checking the basic first :
 Which RTP  ports needs to be open between across the VPN .
Do I need to register the phones only on the Master or both master and the satellite
Also I cannot ping the master but can ping the Satellite.
 Is the level of software version 4.1 ok . If not I will get them to update the SWA  and upgrade
Thanks

Offline ZuluAlpha

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2023, 08:58:23 AM »
 Nothing wrong with the VPN set up and not using an MBG from a networking standpoint. I do it all the time, granted with 3300's and not 400's but in the phone world it will work just fine.

My concern reading that through is the inability to ping across sites.

Offline sarond

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2023, 10:21:17 AM »
My understanding is that IP/SIP phones will register to the Master. The satellite is for TDM stuff like digital/analogue extensions and digital/analogue trunks. Anything IP will register to the master, including SIP Trunks.

Offline bojo387

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2023, 01:17:27 PM »
ZuluAlpha and sarond are correct...

Your phones will register to the Master....

First, fix the site access. If ping doesn't even work, then it could mean the network isn't working as it's supposed to be.
You can do a ping test from the Master to an IP from the remote site via Telnet. if I am not wrong, in R4.1 or <R5, you can telnet to port 23 and do ping or dnsquery rfom there. At least you can also check that direction.

Offline robert.moore

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2023, 12:17:14 PM »
 Thanks for all your help . After all the hard work , it turns out that the phones are on a different Vlans from the Data network. The site to site VPN doesn't include the voice network. I have advise them to MBG but obviously they not Keen because of the cost.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10