Author Topic: 3300 PRI calling  (Read 3542 times)

Offline mark@4thrt.com

• Contributer
    • View Profile
3300 PRI calling
« on: May 24, 2023, 04:39:37 PM »
Have a 3300 ICS that we want to make calls over a PRI.

System was given to us 2-3 years ago, configured for PRI, would take a while to get back in touch with whomever configured previously.

PRI is online, system sees it.

I added an IP phone (5330e), phone comes up, but when I try to dial out, I get "SuperTrunk BUSY"

Not sure if my mistake is in the system or station configuration...?

Any help is appreciated, can provide screenshots and any other info about system config. I have worked with several makes and models of PBX but this is first time working with Mitel.

Offline lundah

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Chief Grunt
    • View Profile
Re: 3300 PRI calling
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2023, 05:16:25 PM »
First thing you'll want to do is validate the ARS (Automatic Route Selection) programming. Go into the system management web interface, go to "Maintenance and Diagnostics" -> "Maintenance Commands", and run a "DGT TRACE" on the number you're trying to dial to see if it points to a valid route. Keep in mind the 3300 wants you to dial a leading digit for external calls, usually a 9 but some systems may be programmed to use 8 instead. Your output should look something like this:
Code: [Select]
DGT Trace started:                                                             
918005551212 : ARS 91800 +  7, ARS 91800 +  7, Route List (1)                   
DGT Trace completed.

Then you'll want to go into your ARS programming and make sure the termination shown is mapped to your PRI circuit. Route lists contain routes, which point to trunk groups, which have individual trunks as members. An ARS line can reference either a route list or a route.

Offline mark@4thrt.com

• Contributer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2023, 05:37:05 PM »
DGT Trace started:
918004444444 : ARS 91 + 10, Route (10)
DGT Trace completed.

Is this the right place in attached image?

Offline lundah

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Chief Grunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2023, 09:26:37 AM »
DGT Trace started:
918004444444 : ARS 91 + 10, Route (10)
DGT Trace completed.

Is this the right place in attached image?

Missing a couple of steps. Look in Route Assignment and see what Route 10 says.

Offline mark@4thrt.com

• Contributer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2023, 03:37:08 PM »
Route Assignment says route 10 points to "TDM Trunk Group";

So I look in "Trunk Group Assignment" and it says Trunk Group 10 points to T1 channels;

So, I look in "Trunk Service Assignment" and Trunk Service 10 is labelled "Supertrunk"

But I can't find where it should point to the PRI - I feel like it would be "Trunk Group Members", under "Trunk Group Assignment", but there isn't much there to modify...

Screenshots attached:

Offline mark@4thrt.com

• Contributer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2023, 04:10:22 PM »
When I say the system can 'see' the PRI, it's only because I see reference to T1 stuff in the info logs and I have green link-lights on both PRI cards (CO and PBX).

Offline lundah

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Chief Grunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2023, 04:29:54 PM »
Route Assignment says route 10 points to "TDM Trunk Group";

So I look in "Trunk Group Assignment" and it says Trunk Group 10 points to T1 channels;

So, I look in "Trunk Service Assignment" and Trunk Service 10 is labelled "Supertrunk"

But I can't find where it should point to the PRI - I feel like it would be "Trunk Group Members", under "Trunk Group Assignment", but there isn't much there to modify...

Screenshots attached:

There's more programming forms involved. Mitel uses lots of them. So you've traced out the ARS route to the trunk group. The trunk group members are individual trunks, in your case they are the channels of the PRI. Those are programmed in Digital Trunk Assignment. But now that you know the trunk group number, you can go back to Maintenance Commands and run a "state trunk group 10" to make sure the trunks in that trunk group are actually up and in service, and you'll see the PLID (Port Location ID) of the PRI card so you can run another command to check the state of the PRI circuit ("dtstat read [PLID]"). Your logs look good, but maybe there's a protocol mismatch or something where the physical layer is green but the protocol is set wrong, in which case the PRI port will be flashing green instead of solid. The PRI Protocol is set in the ISDN Protocol form. Usually it needs to be set for either DMS-100 or NI2-Bellcore if you're in the US.

Offline mark@4thrt.com

• Contributer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2023, 05:17:56 PM »
The state trunk group command lists all channels as "unseizable" except 24 listed as busy (isn't that D channel?)

DTSTAT looks good - I think..?

Where is ISDN Protocol listed? Circuit is set for NI2

Offline lundah

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Chief Grunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2023, 05:22:56 PM »
The state trunk group command lists all channels as "unseizable" except 24 listed as busy (isn't that D channel?)

DTSTAT looks good - I think..?

Where is ISDN Protocol listed? Circuit is set for NI2

The ISDN protocol is set in the ISDN Protocol form, but you're right, something doesn't look right. Make sure that link is programmed for a PRI and not T1/D4. To do that, go into Digital Link Assignment, look up the Digital Link Descriptor being used by PLID 2 1 2, then go into Digital Link Descriptor Assignment and see if the Integrated Digital Access field is set for ISDN NODE or T1/D4.

Offline mark@4thrt.com

• Contributer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2023, 05:37:15 PM »
OK, so I want to change the Integrate Digital Access field in Link Descriptor Assignment, right?

It says I need to delete the current instance to do that; just want to make sure this is the right track (we think) before I delete anything.

Offline lundah

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Chief Grunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2023, 08:05:40 PM »
OK, so I want to change the Integrate Digital Access field in Link Descriptor Assignment, right?

It says I need to delete the current instance to do that; just want to make sure this is the right track (we think) before I delete anything.

Create a new one, pick the next number up. Keep everything the same except the Integrated Digital Access field. Then update your link with the new Link Descriptor number in Digital Link Assignment. Making a change there will reset the interface. Then go into ISDN Protocol and set it to match the circuit.

Offline lundah

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Chief Grunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2023, 08:12:39 PM »
Here's the full set of steps to program a PRI from the Task Programming guide, which is part of the on-line help in more current releases:

Programming Embedded PRI/QSIG Trunks
Before You Begin
Ensure that:

The T1/E1 Combo Card or Dual T1/E1 Framer Module is installed and programmed.

Interconnect Restriction and Intercept Handling is programmed for each trunk.

For more information, see Embedded PRI - Product Overview.

Programming
To program embedded PRI or QSIG trunks:

Digital Link Descriptors form

Enter a number (1 through 16) to uniquely identify the Descriptor.

Enter "A" or "B" in the Address for Message Control field.

Enter "ISDN NODE" in the Integrated Digital Access field.

Select Network Termination (NT) or Line Termination LT)

For T1, set Extended Super Frame to Yes; set Inverted D-Channel to No.

For E1, set CRC-4 enabled to Yes.

For T1 in NA and E1 in Europe accept the default "Nil" for Voice Encoding. However, if you experience noise on the trunks, set Voice Encoding to "Invert".

E1 in NA or T1 in Europe must have Voice Encoding set to "ADI". T1 supports CSU mode and DSX-1 mode.

Digital Links form

Enter the Digital Link Descriptor Number programmed in step 1.

Trunk Circuit Descriptor - MSDN-DPNSS-DASS II form

Enter a unique number (1-32) to identify the Trunk Circuit Descriptor Number that is used in the Digital Trunks form.

Select "UNIVERSAL E1" or "UNIVERSAL T1" in the Card Type field.

Select "Toll Office" or "Local Office" for PRI or "Local Office" for QSIG in the Far End Connection field.

Trunk Attributes form

Enter a COS number.

Complete the Non-dial in Trunks Answer Point fields.

Complete the Dial in Trunks: Incoming Digit Modification fields.

Digital Trunks form

Enter a Trunk Number, Trunk Service Number, Circuit Descriptor, and the Interconnect Number.

Network Synchronization form

Assign a source connection to a Network Source Clock.

ISDN Protocol form

Select the Protocol and Protocol Variant. For QSIG trunks, enable QSIG Prefix Insertion if required.

(Optional; applies to Euro-ISDN only) Advice of Charge form

Select ETSI, Italy, Holland, Spain, or France.

(Optional; applies to Euro-ISDN and QSIG trunks only) Inward Dialing Prefixes form

(Optional) Bearer Capabilities form

Define bearer capabilities on either Fixed or Call by Call basis. If you choose Fixed, you need to specify bearer capability for voice and data. Voice: Speech (default) or 3.1 kHz. Data: UDI (default), RDI, UDI (7 kHz)(E1 only), Video (E1 only).

PRI/QSIG Network Specific Facilities form () or High Layer Compatibility form ()

You can define PRI/QSIG network specific facilities (applies to T1 only) and High Layer Compatibility (applies to Euro-ISDN only) on a Fixed or Call by Call basis.

(Optional) Calling Line ID Restriction form

You can define Calling Line ID Restriction (CLIR) on a fixed or per-call basis.

Enable QSIG

Digital Link Descriptors form

Set the Integrated Digital Access option to ISDN Node.

Set the QSIG Private Network Access option to Yes

Shared System Options form

Set the DPNSS/QSIG Diversion Enabled option to Yes

If required, set the Maintain Original Forward or Reroute Reason to "Yes". With this option enabled, the system maintains and displays on the nominated party's telephone or console the original reason for forwarding or rerouting a call.

Trunk Circuit Descriptor - MSDN-DPNSS-DASSII form

Set the Far End Connection option to Local Office

Set up Calling Party Number Substitution (optional; for PRI and BRI trunks only):

For DID-based substitution, complete the DID Ranges for CPN Substitution () and CPN Substitution forms ().

For DN-based substitution, complete the Associated Directory Numbers form.

(Optional) ISDN Outgoing Numbers form (Euro ISDN Standard trunk variants only)

This form allows you to select the outgoing numbering plans for Euro ISDN Standard trunk variants. To meet the specific ISDN requirements of a European region, you can select the Calling Number and Called Number parameters.

Set up number manipulation on the called and/or calling party number (optional; for Euro ISDN Standard trunk variants only):

Inward Dialing Modification form

Configure rule(s) for altering the dial strings in the inbound calls.

ISDN Called Party Inward Dialing Modification form

Choose the rules to apply to the called number (the number the caller is attempting to reach).

ISDN Calling Party Inward Dialing Modification form

Choose the rules to apply to the calling number (the call originator).

Judging from your screenshots, your're running a version that's about 15 years old at this point.

Offline mark@4thrt.com

• Contributer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2023, 02:02:52 PM »
Thanks, lundah, really appreciate your help with this. Yes, the system is really old, and is only going to be used for compatibility testing.

There were already several entries under "Link Descriptor Assignment" - again it's a hand-me-down system and I don't know what was the last working config or the history of any of it - and I created a new one (#5).

I tried changing the Digital Link Descriptor and get and error: "Conflicting descriptor change. Delete the line explicitly"

I get the same error whether I use a number that was already in Link Descriptor Assignment, or I use the one I created.

Guessing the line to be deleted is the existing Link Descriptor Assignment, but I get an error when I try to delete that; is that what I should be deleting?

Offline mark@4thrt.com

• Contributer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2023, 02:12:33 PM »
Thank you for the instructions, also. I am reading through to help understand the menu options.

Offline lundah

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Chief Grunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2023, 04:09:51 PM »
Will it let you assign any of the existing descriptors that use ISDN NODE, or does it throw that same error about deleting the line?

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10