Author Topic: Options for SIP to replace ISDN?  (Read 1769 times)

Offline impvan

• View Profile
Options for SIP to replace ISDN?
« on: March 28, 2023, 02:45:45 PM »
On a site with a MiVoice 250, 6.2.5.80.  The unit is fed with two ISDN circuits via a BRM-2 card in one of the bays.

Given the impending ISDN switch off, what are the chances of getting the unit to take SIP or 'digital voice' or whatever? 

The TelCo is adamant that a new input card can't be issued with a license, and - as expected - is recommending the 5-year-old PBX be ripped out...

I'd appreciate an engineering viewpoint!!

Ta,
C.

Offline Tech Electronics

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Options for SIP to replace ISDN?
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2023, 03:11:32 PM »
impvan,

You can still switch to SIP Trunking at this point, but you have to buy SIP Trunk Licenses through your VAR.

The system is going End-of-Life though so it is up to you on whether to replace it or just change the trunking.

See this thread: http://mitelforums.com/forum/index.php/topic,13722.0.html

At some point though you will want to change to a different phone system before it is no longer supported.

I went ahead and make the End-of-Life topic Stick to the top of the initial page so it is easier to find in the future.

**Update**
Look toward the end of the thread and you will see the licensing and EOL dates.

Thanks,

TE
« Last Edit: March 28, 2023, 03:14:41 PM by Tech Electronics »

Offline impvan

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2023, 03:08:36 AM »
Thanks TE, that's good to know.

Would it need a SIP input card installed in one of the bays, or does the incoming SIP feed straight into the 'motherboard'?

Offline Tech Electronics

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2023, 09:02:17 AM »
impvan,

No, there wouldn't need to be any additional cards installed for SIP Trunking as it is all handled by the processor. What Mitel recommends, as a best practice, though is that an MBG [Mitel Border Gateway] be installed to help support SIP traffic and provide better security, but it technically isn't needed as the MiVO-250 can perform without it. The only issue you will run into is how to configure it for a SIP provider that uses SRV records as it isn't apparent on how to do that but it can be done.

If, your system is having a hard time processing the information, which is shouldn't, then there are two options moving forward.

1. Get the PEC-1 [Processor Expansion Card - 1] which may or may not already be installed.
2. Get the PS-1 [Processing Server - 1] which may or may not already be installed.

I have never had to install either of those processing units just for SIP in case you were wondering.

Thanks,

TE

Offline impvan

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2023, 03:57:51 AM »
Followup, and thanks.

Armed with your info re. the licence availability we were passed onto the Engineering Team at the telco and away from Sales..

Well, surprise surprise, suddenly there's no need to take out the PBX, they have a pool of licences, lots of new parts, and the system can be kept going for a looong time yet!

Thanks for your help, that's saved a ton of work at my end - I'd have been pushed in to re-cable a 200 year old heritage building.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10