Author Topic: 5224 IP TO Softphone  (Read 2669 times)

Offline bilbotel

• View Profile
5224 IP TO Softphone
« on: February 24, 2023, 09:14:46 AM »
We have 5224 ip phones which must be coming up to 20 years old, connected to a mitel icp 3300. I have had a few which seem to have failed over the last year as despite switch port changes, cables etc they just freeze after a day or so and replacing with a spare solves the problem.

Also I am told I cannot upgrade the software of our server ( release level 8.0 sp2, active software load 14.0.2.26) due to these phones no longer being supported and the port of these phones is limited to 100 Mbps and I am about to upgrade our core switch to gigabit.

Not many people really use their phones any more as we have teams and staff tend to set up teams meetings with external clients. I looked into teams external calling but the cost to implement are too high at present given the number of landline calls that we make.

I don't really want to fork out on 40 new mitel ip handsets either so I was thinking of going down the softphone route and maybe only getting  a few new phones.

I am looking for an economical option as possible, only something basic. What is mitels option here, I am guessing it will be expensive?

I came across microsip, last night can someone give me guidance on how I can test it in terms of how to set the phone up on the mitel and what setting to enter in microsip please? I set the existing phones up with number assigned to specific phones, users do not log on to their phones. I assume I don't need any additional licensing with the software version I am on and ip users licenses include sip softphones?

Also open to any other suggestions!

Offline lundah

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Chief Grunt
    • View Profile
Re: 5224 IP TO Softphone
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2023, 09:25:13 AM »
The 5224 is still supported in the current version of the MiVB software, but you are limited to 100mb on the Ethernet ports.

Offline dilkie

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2023, 09:44:43 AM »
yeah, 52xx phones will still work with latest MiVB s/w. "Supported" and "it works" are two different things.

Offline bilbotel

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2023, 12:37:56 PM »
The 5224's are going.

Appreciate if someone could advise re sip setup.

Offline bilbotel

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2023, 06:40:55 PM »
I have got microsip to work, but I am periodically getting locked out, seems to be when I double click a number in the microsip log to redial it, but not always. The error in the mitel log:

672   2023/Feb/24   22:29:08   MOBILITY   Hot Desk : 834 locked out
676   2023/Feb/24   22:44:08   MOBILITY   Hot Desk : 834 unlocked by DISA TIMER timeout

Whats causing this and how can I stop it?

Offline acejavelin

• Global Moderator
  • High-tech, heavy metal redneck!
    • View Profile
    • Like what I do and wanna help out? Send me a donation!
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2023, 08:51:30 AM »
I would start changing them out with 69xx series phones... You can actually buy them pretty cheap online... You can buy a refurbished 6920 for under $90 and a 6930 for $120 in "Grade A" refurbished condition from places like PCLiquidations.com

And you can absolutely upgrade to the latest software, I have dozens of systems with 5212/5224 sets on 9.3 with no problems, and I anticipate they will work fine on 10.0 as well (which just released recently).

Offline bilbotel

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2023, 07:43:58 AM »
Thats good to know re the 5224, it was my telecoms provider that said a while ago that they would need to be upgraded before moving to newer mitel software, guess they were wrong.

I will keep an eye out for 69 series phones.

Does Mitel have an equivalent basic softphone client to microsip /
x-lite? I see that there is Mitel connect which I downloaded but its asking for a user name and when I look further it looks quite complex when you dont know much about it. What is it you have to do to get it to work, seems you need to create a micloud account, also guessing licenses involved or is there a more basic way to use it?

When booted mine say main ver 02.05.00.05
« Last Edit: February 27, 2023, 07:51:45 AM by bilbotel »

Offline bilbotel

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2023, 08:02:57 AM »
Sorry another question as well, trying to get my head round the our mitel server setup.

DHCP options 125 dont include a VLAN id but the phone does pick up that its on vlan 3 using option 125. Is this because the phone is on voice vlan 3 on cisco switch and the mitel server connects to a port on the switch which is in vlan 3?

If the sip client experimentation works okay, I might look into giving the mitel and phones internally routable ip addresses so we can connect to it over a vpn from home, at present its only accessible on the local Lan.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2023, 09:13:30 AM by bilbotel »

Offline dilkie

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2023, 08:39:18 AM »
Thats good to know re the 5224, it was my telecoms provider that said a while ago that they would need to be upgraded before moving to newer mitel software, guess they were wrong.

I will keep an eye out for 69 series phones.

Does Mitel have an equivalent basic softphone client to microsip /
x-lite? I see that there is Mitel connect which I downloaded but its asking for a user name and when I look further it looks quite complex when you dont know much about it. What is it you have to do to get it to work, seems you need to create a micloud account, also guessing licenses involved or is there a more basic way to use it?

When booted mine say main ver 02.05.00.05

no. there's no money to be made and lots to be lost trying to support such a thing that has no real business value.

Offline bilbotel

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2023, 12:23:22 PM »
The microsip attended transfer option is greyed out, is there something I need to set on the sip device settings on the mitel server to allow this?

Offline bilbotel

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2023, 03:51:05 AM »
Its ok, call transfer works on microsip now.

Offline johnp

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2023, 06:23:55 PM »
I use phonerlite as a softphone for testing as a remote phone when there is no teleworker available. I would say to add a multicall to the softphone

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10